MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

German Pith Helmet

Article about: Hi all! I've been offered a German pith helmet for a very reasonable price. The only photos the seller is able to provide are the ones below (original and blown up versions included) which w

?

Default German Pith Helmet

Hi all! I've been offered a German pith helmet for a very reasonable price. The only photos the seller is able to provide are the ones below (original and blown up versions included) which were taken with her camera phone. She states her father used to collect and now her mother wants to be rid of all of his military items. The helmet is “at her mothers house and the phone on her camera does not take good pictures”. The place is about an hours drive from me so I plan on taking a trip to check it out.

I’m far from an expert but the price is either too good to be true or stupid for me to turn down. In any case, I’ve perused the forum and inter-webs for photos of authentic and fake versions so I can have a general idea of what to look for. She has advised me it is maker marked JHS on the leather band, but this seems to be a pretty common maker from what I’ve read, so it wouldn’t surprise me if replicas had this included as well.

Both decals are present however she is unable to provide me with the one that would designate if this was Heer, KM or Luftwaffe (it’s definitely not SS as she states there is an eagle holding a swastika).

I’ve printed out photos I found online of the insignias, front and back, as well as multiple angles of the helmets exterior and interior to take with me as a reference guide.

Why did I post this you may be asking yourself? I’m hoping that the experts can provide me with any tell tale signs to look for to confirm authenticity. This forum is full of people with a world of knowledge on this subject, and who have probably handled dozens if not hundreds of these helmets. I hope that someone can provide me with a little more insight.

Look forward to hearing your responses and tips. Thanks!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Pith Helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images German Pith Helmet  German Pith Helmet  German Pith Helmet 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Pith Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Pith Helmet

even from those pics I am certain that it is an original 1st pattern Heer/army pith helmet, made between 1940-43.
    A few pics showing what it should look like is attached.
    Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Pith Helmet   German Pith Helmet  

German Pith Helmet  

?

Thanks for the quick response! I hope to one day be skilled enough to identify a real from a copy even with less than quality photos.

Definitely puts me more at ease....Now to get out there to purchase it before someone else swoops in before me!

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response! I hope to one day be skilled enough to identify a real from a copy even with less than quality photos.

Definitely puts me more at ease....Now to get out there to purchase it before someone else swoops in before me!
    Hi, I could only do this with a pith.

Jerry

I agree, its is a fine army. KM has a borderless tri-color sheild for future buys!