Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine NCOs Visor Cap

Article about: Hi, I would please like to have opinions on this Kriegsmarine NCOs visor cap, is it good? The sweatband stitching is probably not period. Regards, juno44

?

Question Kriegsmarine NCOs Visor Cap

Hi,

I would please like to have opinions on this Kriegsmarine NCOs visor cap, is it good? The sweatband stitching is probably not period.

Regards, juno44

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine NCOs Visor Cap
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Kriegsmarine NCOs Visor Cap

When you look inside the blue lining, what is the stiffenming material for the cap band like ?

Is the top fixed or removable ?

Hard to tell from the photo if the peak edging material is leather or plastic type material.
    Usually the join in the mohair band is at the front, under the wreathed cockade, not at the rear but as the eagle and wreathed cockade are mismatched, the mohair band may have been replaced.
    The chisntrap is missing one of its slides but appears to be leather. What is the inside face of the chinstrap like ( raw and unfinished, or smoothed and polished brown finish).

More info required to give a firm opinion.

?

Hi Readcap,

Here are the answers to your questions:

When you look inside the blue lining, what is the stiffening material for the cap band like ?

- Hard black cardboard material

Is the top fixed or removable ?

It is fixed

Hard to tell from the photo if the peak edging material is leather or plastic type material.

It is made of leather

The chintrap is missing one of its slides but appears to be leather. What is the inside face of the chinstrap like ( raw and unfinished, or smoothed and polished brown finish).

It is made of real leather see photo

Regards, juno44

?

Some good features but I'd have to say I still have some reservations. Every single incontrovertible original I have owned or examined has had either a celluloid or a stiffened waterproof buckram stiffener to the band. The crown to the cap shopuld normally be large and floppy. If the crown is removable you always have the possibility of mis-matched crown and body so the body having a crown that it smaller that normal.

However, your has a fixed crown which looks small for the body, and a cardboard stiffener which is a common feature of postwar Bundesmarine caps. Very early postwar caps can have the correct leather chinstrap and peak edging.

Here are a couple of examples of originals I owned. The pics marked F are from a fixed top and R from a removable top. In both cases you can see how large and floppy the brim is in relation to the band. You can see the white waterproofed buckram material used for the fiexd top and the brittle celluloid used for the stiffener in the remobavle top. The same celluloid stiffeners were used in original KM sailor's "Donald Duck" caps.

Personally, I am very cautious of cardboard stiffeners ( they were used on some private purchase caps) which to me signal that a cap could well be a re-worked early Bundesmarine cap. Not saying that that is what yours is, but its not one I'd be comfortable with. Thats why, when it comes to KM visor caps, I make it a rule always to stick to textbook issue (as opposed to private purchase) caps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine NCOs Visor Cap   Kriegsmarine NCOs Visor Cap  

Kriegsmarine NCOs Visor Cap   Kriegsmarine NCOs Visor Cap  

?

Hi Redcap,

Here are photos showing you inside the sweatband, let me know what you think.

Regards, juno44

?

Apart from the card stiffener and rather small brim, the actual construction itself looks fine - apart from the sweatband - original NCO caps usually have the band machine sewn to the cap.
    Most issue NCO caps did not have a celluloid sweat diamond, and when they do, they are generally smaller and diamond shaped. Its clear that yours did at one time have a large sweat diamond with the curved end which suggests it could have been a private purchase piece and that would explain the card stiffener.

Lots of good features but like I said, this non standard-issue type isn't one I'd personally go for, but it could be good. Its certainly not a "fake". Worst case scenario a very early Bundesmarine but possibly a good one.