Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luft M43

Article about: I hate to ask but could someone just confirm this cap is the real deal. I know it is but as its currently for sale some potential buyers want it checked on the forum. I bought this cap from

piw
    ?

Default Luft M43

I hate to ask but could someone just confirm this cap is the real deal. I know it is but as its currently for sale some potential buyers want it checked on the forum.

I bought this cap from Relic Hunter a few months back. Its a 1944 RB numbered cap in immaculate condition. Has period applied two piece insignia. Not much else to add really!

Many thanks.

WillLuft M43

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luft M43
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luft M43

It is fine.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi i would like to ask something. The number markings inside are serial numbers or model numbers? Coz this cap has the same numbers with this one. Is it normal for these caps to have the same numbers? I don't know much about these caps, that's why i'm asking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luft M43  
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

You have the date, then the manufacturer's number code ( 0/0501/.... ) then the hat size.
    Not unusual to find 2 hats with the same manufacturers code.
    Hope this helps.

Cool. I wasn't sure if it was serial number or manufacturer's code. In the first case another item having the same numbers means ''red alert'' whilst in the second means something usual.
    Thanks

Hi Chris, you need to read up on "RB numbers".

The basic story behind these was the need for security. An item with a maker name and town address can provide valuable intelligence for the enemy. By knowing what is made and where you know which industries are located in which towns and hence where to bomb. This led to the adoption of the RN number system. No master copy of this list survives today. But certain makers codes are known as are town locations. (Each town had a number) If memory serves me correctly, 0250 was Berlin for example.

The system was sucessful in it's aims, so much so it continues to baffle collectors today!

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade. On this row 0/0501/0015 which part is for the town and which for the maker? Or it goes the same for all caps produced by that particular factory?

Hi Chris, I believe the second set of numbers (0501) is for town code. Every cap made by that maker would have the same stamp.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade.

To help locate the city

RBNr. Database - Search