Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe caps

Article about: Hi to all, I am currently trying to get a Luftwaffe cap for my grand father : he was a radio on a Ju-52 from 1940 to 1943, and from 1943 to 1945 a radar operator in Ju-88 and Me-110. He had

Thank you all for your kind advices.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what do you call private purchase and contract visors?
    In addition, I have also a question : my grandpa used to have a cap with those two, I don't know how to tell, the two parts that are falling a little bit , like on this picture (I put red circles), is this a specific cap?The other ones have regular forms.
    Luftwaffe capsLuftwaffe caps

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe caps
    P
    Many

Contract means the Luftwaffe ordered the hats in bulk and they were distributed to the men as part of their uniform kit.
    Contract caps lack quality in terms of materials used for the body, lining, padding, etc.--they also are usually more Teller (plate-shaped) in appearance.
    LW contract caps usually have a "Lieferjahr" (contract year) date in them.

Private purchase caps were purchased directly from an Effekten dealer (or from the manufacturer directly).
    They usually have silk linings; better-quality wool bodies; and higher peaks.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Contract means the Luftwaffe ordered the hats in bulk and they were distributed to the men as part of their uniform kit.
    Contract caps lack quality in terms of materials used for the body, lining, padding, etc.--they also are usually more Teller (plate-shaped) in appearance.
    LW contract caps usually have a "Lieferjahr" (contract year) date in them.

Private purchase caps were purchased directly from an Effekten dealer (or from the manufacturer directly).
    They usually have silk linings; better-quality wool bodies; and higher peaks.
    Ok, thank you for lightning me up

And do you know about the last cap I posted, the parts are marked in red : is this something "normal", or is it a different type of cap?

If I understand your question correctly, no, the hat was not made that way--the soldiers often "pinched" either side of the peak to give their hats a jaunty appearance.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    If I understand your question correctly, no, the hat was not made that way--the soldiers often "pinched" either side of the peak to give their hats a jaunty appearance.
    aha ok, thank you very much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2