Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Need opinions on Police Sidecap...

Article about: Hi all. This one has me stumped for two reasons... I'm used to seeing these in wool, whereas this one uses what appears to be a multi-colored cotton based material.I'm used to seeing these w

?

Default Need opinions on Police Sidecap...

Hi all.

This one has me stumped for two reasons...

1. I'm used to seeing these in wool, whereas this one uses what appears to be a multi-colored cotton based material.
    2. I'm used to seeing these with piping along the top rim, whereas this one is void of any piping.

This one is constructed of what appears to be a cotton material instead of wool, and is a blend of a couple of different colors. Look closely at the detail photo of the insignia and you can see the multiple colors of the base material. The maker is also obscure (I believe)... "Marie Slamma & Sohn". Perhaps this is the material they were known to used? Any opinions from the cap experts is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on Police Sidecap...
    P
    Many

I cannot speak to the authenticity of this cap but the material is quite clearly Grünmeliert. The material is most widely known in our community as the type used to make the early FJ jump smocks. It is a common utility cloth that existed prior to the the Third Reich era and is still made today as far as I know. Attached are photos of the same material used as a cover on a suitcase from the period. NH

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need opinions on Police Sidecap...  

Need opinions on Police Sidecap... Slama still in business. They are located in Vienna. NH

?

Hi Neil.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Will wait for others to reply as well, regarding authenticity.

I have never seen a cap made of this material but it may very well be authentic. My comment about the manufacturer was only to point out they are still in business. I doubt they make repros of these caps! It sure looks nice. Hoping others will chime in. NH

?

Hi Neil. You probably saw the comment I posted prior to editing it (the version you see now is my edited version). When I logged into the thread I only saw your more recent post with the maker's logo and didn't notice your prior post. My bad. You are right, the fabric is almost identical to the fabric used on the suitcase you posted photos of. Very interesting. I'm surprised we don't have more replies to this thread -- I wonder if the fabric is keeping people from commenting. It is obviously an "odd" fabric to use on a cap, but seeing the photos you posted I'm inclined to believe this is a good cap. Logically, why create a reproduction using a base cap that is not wool (which is the typical fabric for these)?

I like it and think it is good.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Agreed. NH