Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)

Article about: Stonemint: I have purchased this cap from one of the most renowned dealers of German militaria around, a dealer I trust (as much as one can trust a dealer - everyone can make mistakes). It w

KSH
    ?

Default Re: Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)

Ben, have you ever had a go at learning German?

On the cap: Probably an obvious question, but here goes. Is the visor on my cap made of vulcan fiber? Were all visors either of leather or of vulcan fiber?

- Kenneth

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)
    P
    Many

Default Re: Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    For the benefit of our non-German speaking members, please allow me to add an English translation of the UM article you had included in post # 34, as it also addresses this problem and may be of general interest here:

" A Cologne Uniform Tailor gives account. So overburdened is he with work for the new Cologne garrison that he does not know how to manage it. On the subject of civilian tailors, he has this to say: 'The changeover back to our original trade came to sudden. Due to the fact that Cologne did not have a military garrison anymore, there was no new blood trained in this field. Many civilian tailors, though, are not readily up to this work, for it presents demands of an altogether different nature. Many civilian tailors, for example, are not familiar with the workmanship that goes into the application of the pipings that frame the tunic and go onto the trousers. Uniform collars, tabs, shoulder boards and cuffs are difficult work as well. Cutting a uniform item is entirely different from cutting a loose-fitting and casual civilian suit. The uniform is precisely and tightly fitted to the figure. This requires long experience. The firms that still employ craftsmen from the war years are few.' It's the same old story, and the retraining courses of the DAF [German Labor Front] are alluded to. The uniform tailor in question, who had been a supplier to the Cologne garrison since the Eighties, still recalls the time in which the Berlin uniform tailors - Berlin, as is well known, being the center of uniform tailoring -travelled all the way to the most remote garrisons in East Prussia and Lorraine, to take measurements and undertake fittings. Such power had our Army's reputation that even foreign rulers, generals and diplomats ordered their uniforms from the suppliers to the German Army."

well done and thanks. I do not have the free time to do so, and thank my German friend for his service to the commonwealth here.

There are dozens and dozens of articles of this kind in UM which beat the hell out of all the secondary works which rely on gun show myths and old wives tales told by high school drop outs at glamor militaria meets in North America.

?

Quote by KSH View Post
    Ben, have you ever had a go at learning German?
    I am constantly having a go at learning German but I've not jumped in with both feet as yet and really committed to it. It really isn't my main focus in life at the moment, truth be told.

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I am constantly having a go at learning German but I've not jumped in with both feet as yet and really committed to it. It really isn't my main focus in life at the moment, truth be told.
    Understandable It takes a lot of time to master a language. And a lot of work.

- Kenneth

KSH
    ?

Ben, could you enlighten me regarding which material the visor on my cap is made from?

- Kenneth

The cap cover is made of field grey doeskin in the weight suited to peaked caps, and the cap band is badge cloth.
    You did a fine translation. Without wanting to beat a dead horse, if you cannot read German sources, you will always be at a disadvantage in this game, which I know is highly irritating to English speakers. In 1969 I made up my mind that I would learn German faced with fake foetid woolens, and I have never regretted the choice. In 1967 I was told by a high school counselor that I was not smart enough to learn German....
    Life requires such challenges if one is to achieve something.

The consequence of globalization is to make native English speakers complacent about language and culture, which is a huge mistake. Our Germany of the era 1914-1945 only makes sense in German, and today writing about German history is best done in Germany and Austria itself. My native country used to be good at it, but no longer. Now that the primary sources are much more at hand via the internet, the mastery of same is a requirement.

Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)

KSH
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The cap cover is made of field grey doeskin in the weight suited to peaked caps, and the cap band is badge cloth.
    You did a fine translation. Without wanting to beat a dead horse, if you cannot read German sources, you will always be at a disadvantage in this game, which I know is highly irritating to English speakers. In 1969 I made up my mind that I would learn German faced with fake foetid woolens, and I have never regretted the choice. In 1967 I was told by a high school counselor that I was not smart enough to learn German....
    Life requires such challenges if one is to achieve something.
    Thank you for your information Friedrich. Would you happen to know which material the "Schirm" itself of my cap is made of? Vulcan/leather?

I agree 100% that a good knowledge of German is one of the greatest assets a collector of German militaria can have. It sure has helped me a lot. To have documents and such in German in my collection and not being able to read them, now that would have tormented me for instance! I also believe that to fully understand the mindset and culture of a people one has to know their language.

- Kenneth

Your cap has a vulcan fiber peak. Here are caps with leather peaks. The peaks were also made of a kind of cardboard/paper composition that was lacquered. Vulcan fiber was an Ersatzwerkstoff of the early 20th century employed in lieu of leather. With the advent of the 4 year plan in 1936, leather peaks on NSDAP and military caps became the exception. Field caps had pliable leather peaks, as well, but these, also, were phased out more or less, but remained in use for reasons of fashion and custom.Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)

Caps with vulcan fiber peaks, which are the norm.Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)

KSH
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Your cap has a vulcan fiber peak. Here are caps with leather peaks. The peaks were also made of a kind of cardboard/paper composition that was lacquered. Vulcan fiber was an Ersatzwerkstoff of the early 20th century employed in lieu of leather. With the advent of the 4 year plan in 1936, leather peaks on NSDAP and military caps became the exception. Field caps had pliable leather peaks, as well, but these, also, were phased out more or less, but remained in use for reasons of fashion and custom.Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)Opinions needed on Wehrmacht Heer - Schirmmütze für Sanitätsoffiziere (visor cap for medical officers)
    Was it because of the leather peaks themselves that my favorite of the German field caps, the Feldmütze alter Art, was discontinued, and not some other reason?

- Kenneth

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast