Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Opinions please on erel visor

Article about: Hi guys, just brought a new visor, would really appreciate some expert advise as I am new to the game, original? type of visor? early or late war etc thanks Clay

Default Re: Opinions please on erel visor

Heres the stiching of sweatband, thread holes match vulcan fibre thread holes and there are no empty thread holes, if anyone has any images of gebirgsjager visors or late war visors, would love to see them, thanks Clay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC12032.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	178217  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Hey guys found this article interesting

Collectors and other addictive personality types are often called upon to abandon rational thought when fighting the need to acquire. Never is this more apparent than the use of the term “late war” (generally defined as the period from mid-1944 through 1945) to justify an otherwise foolish purchase. First, let me clarify this statement to say that there is no question that variants existed due to material shortages, inexperienced tailoring, etc. However, the basic rule of “Buy the piece and not the story” should always apply.

Late war variants have been well documented. They certainly exist, but do not let this be an excuse for purchasing a piece that should otherwise be avoided. This is particularly true with the better-known manufacturers. Mercedes never manufactured a car with three tires, and Holters never produced an unattractive cap. It does not matter how many bombs were dropping around the factory or the tailor shop, these are the rules to live by.

Particular attention has been paid to the concept of the late war EREL (Robert Lubstein) visor cap. Perhaps the best known of the Third Reich manufacturers, EREL caps are known for their quality and distinctive features. That quality should always be there, but there are a few exceptions to the rule.

It has been well established and documented that the late war EREL cap did exist. EREL is well known for it’s distinctive sweatband, shape, logo and ventilation system. Now having said to be leery of anomalies, genuine EREL caps have been found with missing elements. The distinctive sweatband is often missing in late war caps. It is replaced with rolled leather, or even in some cases, ersatz leather (pressed paper). Late war caps have been identified with the more commonly found vulkanfiber, or pressed paper, as well. Even the ventilation system, so identified with EREL, can be missing from some of these visor caps. Some things, however, cannot change.

I have always been committed to the belief that the key to identification of a reproduction visor cap is in the interior. The lining should always be neatly bloused. EREL in particular is noted for a layering in the blousing that should be continuous around the perimeter of the cap under the sweatband. It should be stitched in, not cut with pinking shears.

Clay,,here are some pics of my Gebirgsjager Visor Hat...Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtn 1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	178234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtn 6.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	178235  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtn 5.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	178236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtn 7.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	178237  

Awesome visor robert, very impressive, do you just collect visors? thanks for the photos

no i seem to collect everything,,,now i am trying to de-collect,,if there is anything you are looking for,,shoot me a pm...Robert

Nice late war cap with post war sb...

Sebastien.

Hi sebastien, which visor are you refering to, the visor above or my visor on page 1, thanks Clay

Hi guys, found some images of identicle gerbirgsberg latewar era visor, by a different maker, has a paper pressed sweatband, found very strange as the sweatband has exactly the same coloured stitching as my sweatband Thanks Clay

Name:	1203(6).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	178666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1203(1).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	178667  

Name:	1203.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	178668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1203(2).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	178669  

Name:	1203p.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	178670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1203(3).jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	178671  

Hi Clay

Here's a couple of pictures of mine along with the standard comparison shot of the different green pipings found across TR caps.

cheers

tony

Name:	PICT3999.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	179064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT3995.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	179065

Name:	PICT4009.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	179061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT4002.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	179063  

Awesome caps tony, are these all gebirgsjager visors, great collection, one day hopefully I will have a spectacular collection like what you guys have got, thanks for sharing, cheers Clay

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast