Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?

Article about: Picked this up from a guy who claimed that his friend found it in an attic in Estonia. I am new to the hobby, and so far I've made more than one online purchase blunder. I wish I had joined

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The search for bargains, short cuts, and hock shop miracles almost always ends in tragedy.
    Which is why I have favoured the path of paying a little (sometime a lot) more to ensure highest quality pieces AND the comfort of security in what I collect. Not for me is the game of lying in bed at night...wondering.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?
    P
    Many

One thing for sure if you buy quality stuff you will always have quality to resell if you wish to resell. As opposed to having junk that will remain just that. Good luck in your collecting it is an ongoing learning process that is ever interesting.

Steve

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Which is why I have favoured the path of paying a little (sometime a lot) more to ensure highest quality pieces AND the comfort of security in what I collect. Not for me is the game of lying in bed at night...wondering.
    I am with you. There was a collector in my area, since quite dead, who always regaled me with his stories of finding black SS peaked caps in hock shops and used clothing stores for USD .25. He and I came from very different worlds, and I never believed much of what he said, really. I am sure he once found a black SS cap in a hock shop for .25 cents, and likely on or about 1965....

I first bought a Sonderanfertigung one from a very sophisticated dealer associated with the West Point Museum, which he either looted or got their duplicates, and I paid
    USD 125 in the year 1971 or so. This sum was astronomical. It was the subject of incredulous guffaws and snorts. This man dealt in high end SS stuff and eventually vanished. I never met him, but the cap was very real. I have a picture of it somewhere. Which is to say, these things are cheap for others, but not for me.

The blue car is mine. The person in it was a friend of mine. The image: 1974.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?   Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?  

Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?   Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?  

Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?  Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?  Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again? 

I am with you. There was a collector in my area, since quite dead, who always regaled me with his stories of finding black SS peaked caps in hock shops and used clothing stores for USD .25. He and I came from very different worlds, and I never believed much of what he said, really. I am sure he once found a black SS cap in a hock shop for .25 cents, and likely on or about 1962 and a half....maybe 1961.

I first bought a Sonderanfertigung one from a very sophisticated dealer associated with the West Point Museum, which he either looted or got their duplicates, and I paid
    USD 125 in the year 1971 or so. This sum was astronomical. It was the subject of incredulous guffaws and snorts. This man dealt in high end SS stuff and eventually vanished. I never met him, but the cap was very real. I have a picture of it somewhere. Which is to say, these things are cheap for others, but not for me.

The blue car was mine at the time. Some of the caps there, too, but also a friend's collection. The person in it was a friend of mine. The image: 1974.
    a myth that may amuse the younger set, who only knows the digital paradise.

?

I suggest this item, which is hardly a bargain, but for the refined taste.

HG-4a Scarce, Late-Weimar Period Army Infantry Officer
    " Hardly a bargain" indeed; VERY overpriced, IMHO.

BobS

Mr. Sykes--
    Glad to hear you can get a refund.
    As I have only dabbled in crushers over the years, I have not started a thread on them (but have mixed some in with the standard visors in the Guide to Authentic Headgear sub forum).

In any event, this thread should give you an overview of the kind of dreck that is plaguing Ebay:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cap-a...visors-435996/
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by BobS View Post
    " Hardly a bargain" indeed; VERY overpriced, IMHO.

BobS
    Maybe you will do Mr. Sykes the signal favor of offering him a credible alternative?

I would surely appreciate it, and I am sure he would, as well.

I am the last person to have my pulse "on the market."

Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?Panzer crusher? Or have I been fooled again?Pz caps, all over priced and fated to become meaningless with the greying of the cohort.

Plus a general staff cap with an odd badge that I like all the same. The badge is a Dutch one, but maybe it Bavarian associations for someone.

Beautiful, all of them! And thanks for the link stonemint! I'm just going to stay away from ebay full stop from now on. Dealers with my 'hands on' the item, or networked fellow collectors, or possibly this site's classifieds only for me now. I've also just ordered two reference books on amazon: One for Panzer Crew Uniforms and the other for SS camouflage items. Taking things reaaaal slow now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3