Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS kepi with bullion eagle

Article about: Hello, I was at the local flea market today and came across this kepi at a stand that was loaded with German items (mistly bad, but some good). I gave this kepi a snowball's chance in hell o

Default SS kepi with bullion eagle

Hello, I was at the local flea market today and came across this kepi at a stand that was loaded with German items (mistly bad, but some good). I gave this kepi a snowball's chance in hell of being correct, but I snapped a couple photos because it was something I don't normally see and figured I'd research it when I got home. I was very surprised to find that the cloth tag on the inside was (at a glance) very much like correct tags I found here on this site. Not having the eye for detail that most here do, I still didn't give it a chance because of where it was and the type of guy who had it. The tag however, pushed me to post the couple photos I snapped here for the experts. If this is a piece of trash as I suspect, I apologize for taking up the valuable time of the experts. Sorry I didn't get more shots, I can get more next week if necessary, but I figured these three would be enough for a learned eye to judge by. Thanks in advance for your time and input. I fully expect it to be a dud so feel free to unload. No money has ben spent. Just had to know for sure.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS kepi with bullion eagle   SS kepi with bullion eagle  

SS kepi with bullion eagle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS kepi with bullion eagle
    P
    Many

Hello I think your instincts are correct. But.. the cap is worth discussing as someone could stumble across another and be fooled by such an item. It is bad to the core imo. There were officers kepi's but the quality would be well above what is seen in your photos. The bullion eagle which is poorly excuted wouldn't be seen on a cap of this era, it would of had the earlier variety metal TK and government adler. The silver wire piping is odd as well as the other materials used for construction. I do not believe the embossed sig runes on the interior would not be seen on kepi s either, as they would of been used in 34-35 caps as per RZM mandate, by which time the kepi would of been mostly phased out as approved headwear. The sweat shield looks plasic and poorly sewn in, the embroidered tag does look close but would not of been sewn in under the sweatband. Just alot of odd things going on/wrong with it and none of them are good. Best regards.

Brian

Heini H. in kepi and schwarzem Rock, ca. 193x

Looks Like an HJ Black Ski cap and the Bullion eagle is not time period correct if the kepi were to come from the early period.
    The early SA/SS cap eagle would of been suited for the kepi.

The photos provided by Brian show a coffee can style kepi and not a wool type. I am not an SS cloth man but these are my observations from what I have studied on some of these threads here.

The higher qualified SS cloth collectors will chime in shortly and give you a more precise answer.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Your instincts were correct--that cap is a 100% repro.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Thank you to all who offered opinions. If you guys would like, I am happy to take more photos for documantation of what's "not right" for future reference. I was certain the cap was bad, but that tag had me doubting my instincts last night at 1am with a couple Becks in my belly. Bullion eagles always throw me for a loop. Can't apply the "always perfect" rules to handmade insignia. I've looked at some and thought to myself "one look fake" only to have experts praise it as beautiful. I throw up my hands in dismay. Thanks again guys, have a nice day all.

?

Hi,
    Can wee see the whole thing? More pictures.
    Thanks

Quote by Narcis View Post
    Hi,
    Can wee see the whole thing? More pictures.
    Thanks
    Yes sir, I will take more photos but it will be this weekend before I am in front of it again. I will post them probably Saturday night or Sunday. Sorry for the delay but I am happy to go back so that others may learn from this piece.