Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Mountain Troop Hat

Article about: I agree this cap is bad but i reconise the ss rzm labels as being from ss armbands, those may be real and used to make the cap look authentic. ~Dean

RON
    ?

Default SS Mountain Troop Hat

Hello everyone,
    Pretty excited to have joined and many thanks for having me!
    I've been collecting German Militaria for a while now, both wars.
    I bought the enclosed SS mountain troop hat a couple of years ago. It was described as a an 'early (1937) cloth visor mountain troop hat with wool body, black wool band, green piping & bullion emblems'.
    Inside has leather sweat band and maker's label. Size appears to be 58/59.
    What do you think of it?
    SS Mountain Troop HatSS Mountain Troop HatSS Mountain Troop HatSS Mountain Troop HatSS Mountain Troop HatSS Mountain Troop Hat
    Cheers!
    Ron

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Mountain Troop Hat
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Mountain Troop Hat

Hi Ron
    And welcome, Personally I do not like the cap. If it were real, it would be a superb catch ..................BUT that's MO

RON
    ?

Thanks John.
    What dazzles me about this cap--apart from the fact it is an uncommon/older model--is the fact that it's so well preserved on the outside while the inside/liner is quite worn... Are there any reference photos of a similar (1937) model anywhere for benchmarking?

Ron
    Of course it is sometimes difficult to judge an item by pictures alone, You will need Ben, or Brian to chip in, they are your true "cap boys" and what they don't know, you could write on a postage stamp.

The insignia is fake, and the label inside is wrong, coupled with the fact I for one have never encountered a "real one" is enough for me to say I'll pass. But I have been known to be wrong before

It does remind me of the Latvian fakes, but of course if you bought it in the 80's, they were part of the USSR then. And they didn't take any notice of "fascists" items, until they realised there was big money in it

RON
    ?

Speaking of the Iron Curtain, imagine all the nice items that were utilized by the Czechoslovakian Statni Film works after the war (in the 50s)... Many beautiful SS Caps now selling for thousands of dollars were being given away for peanuts till the 90s... Too bad I was too young, poor and ignorant back then !!

?

A seriously bad fake, I'm afraid. There is nothing on this hat which is close to an original.

Quote by ErichK View Post
    A seriously bad fake, I'm afraid. There is nothing on this hat which is close to an original.
    Agreed...............!
    Regards,

Steve.

Sorry, Ron--it is a 100% fake with no original parts which has been artificially aged. 99.9% of color-piped SS visors are fake.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

RON
    ?

Thanks for the constructive feedback gents.
    Glad this piece didn't cost me much either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast