Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?

Article about: My father purchased this fez back in 2008. All examples of the SS Handschar fez have cloth insignia and a slightly rounded top. The outside is pretty toasty, and the tassel is barely hanging

Default SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?

My father purchased this fez back in 2008. All examples of the SS Handschar fez have cloth insignia and a slightly rounded top. The outside is pretty toasty, and the tassel is barely hanging on, but it's a neat item. The photo was with the hat; it has a flat top, but no metal insignia. Also, if anyone knows what language is printed on the inside, that would get me started with some kind of a translation. SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?
    P
    Many

In a word: no. The badges are fakes.

Never say never in this game, but I cannot recall having seen a fez with metal insignia. In theory, such a thing would be practical, as metal insignia were well worn
    on other caps and such, But I cannot recall such a thing in decades of gazing at images. The headwear here is not of German make, either plainly.

If someone can correct me, I would be very grateful, indeed.

Also the photo that accompanies it is a Russian archive fake.........

The fez was and is worn throughout the Mahgrib (North Africa) and now largely produced for the tourist trade. Written Arabic devoid of the vowel indicators(fatha, damma, and kasra) is a decidedly native Arabic form. Bosnians do not write or speak Arabic. I could attempt to translate the inscription if flipped but there is no point. The whole thing is a silly mess.

The whole thing is a silly mess.

How true and how tedious.

MAP
    ?

Lotusav,

Know it might be disappointing to hear this knowing your father probably spent hard earned $ on his items. We have seen it before time and again on the forum All I can say is that is better to know the truth and weed out the good from the bad. Collecting TR is only rewarding if you study hard and belong to a community (plug WRF ) that can help out.

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes, it is a shame. I know he spent good money believing this was real. Joining this forum was a difficult thing for me to do....I knew it would be a dose of hard truth, but I'm very happy to learn from the best! No need to translate or pursue this any further. Thanks, gentlemen!

The fez is real. It is a very old piece, but one that was worn by civilians far before the Second World War. It has been nearly destroyed completely by time and moths. The SS insignia is, as has been said, reproduction junk and was added by some unscrupulous thief to sell the fez as a piece of SS head gear, which it is not and never was. The actual SS fez were never lined in this fashion and did not resemble the one posted. Sorry about the bad news, but it is what it is.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?SS-Waffen Fez with Metal Insignia?
    Quote by Lotusav View Post
    Yes, it is a shame. I know he spent good money believing this was real. Joining this forum was a difficult thing for me to do....I knew it would be a dose of hard truth, but I'm very happy to learn from the best! No need to translate or pursue this any further. Thanks, gentlemen!
    Thanks. Collecting SS material is a brutal experience if one lacks the needed preparation. None of us enjoys imparting such unpleasant truths to anyone.

On the other hand, here is the advert ca. 1963 for the fake black SS uniform, made in Munich by the colorful looking man with the cigar and then retailed by his ally in Texas, which I then bought in 1968 or so as a naive 15 year old and so forth and so on and etc. "Freiherr von Moellendorff" interpreted this process in his work of 1971, which updated that of 1969, one of the first tracts to engage the theme of Nazi fakery and, as such, was ahead of its time.
    This was the first of many disappointments fifty years ago, and the potential for an ever greater disappointment is always present.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast