Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?

Article about: Hey guys i've recently met a WWII collector and amongst the items he's selling i found this Afrika Korps Tropenhelm (i think, im not an expert) im feeling like buying it. Inspite of it, im a

Default Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?

Hey guys i've recently met a WWII collector and amongst the items he's selling i found this Afrika Korps Tropenhelm (i think, im not an expert) im feeling like buying it. Inspite of it, im always afraid of a reproduction so i tought i'd get your opinions on the matter..Much obliged, Johnson...(if it's not a reproduction how much is it worth?)

Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tropenhelm, real or reproduction?
    P
    Many

Original unissued 2nd pattern Heer and though there is some very slight evidence that this type saw service in Afica, this example did not and is therefore not Afrika Korps. Besides the crushed dome it is in very good condition, but this type attracts lower prices than the 1st pattern version made of canvas and it is probably worth $200 at most and maybe less because of the damage and because it is unused as most Tropenhelm collectors prefer used examples.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Agreed-a beautiful condition 2nd Pattern helmet! Nice find!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for the info mr Bond, i have just a little question, how are you able to tell that this example in particular was never on service in africa or elsewhere?? I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge, thanks again yall

?

The way you can tell is quite simple if these where truly worn they would have a lot of wear to them, and this one is near mint meaning that it was most likely never issued

Nice second pattern pith helmet second pattern as stated. Lot of unissued ones came home by GI's and in the late 60 early 70 companies like Unique Imports sold lots of them however there's are usually stamped "Germany" for import into US along liner band my brother bought a unissued one from them in 1969 for nine dollars. Yours is nice condition. As stated don't bring as much as canvas wicker first model. timothy

?

It would have a lot of wear on the sweat band and would show sweat stains.. Remember , if you served in Africa or a tropical environment, you would sweat a lot. Also, I think these are called a ' pith helmet', troppenhelms are a bit different,I believe . As said, a fine shape second model pith helmet
    As for price, I think $200 is fair, but try to get it for$175, due to the slight crown dimple. I would get this, as I don't yet own one. This in fine shape and complete with chinstrap. I Also, is it marked JHS and stamped' made in Germany' ?
    Last edited by Dean; 08-07-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Ive seen no JHS mark nor the made in germany stamp. Correct me if im wrong but the tropenhelms marked with that made in germany stamp where imported into the U.S?? This one was bought in europe and brought to Costa Rica recently...Does the stamp affect the value of the helmet??

Its also a case that it was the first pattern pith helmets were used in north Africa and only a few of the second pattern like you have found their way out there and late on in the fighting there ,Alot of these second pattern were used in europe and you see photos of them worn in southern Russia and southern France and at the end of the war alot were found in storage hence the reason there are quite alot of them still around , You may find a marker stamp and date if you fold back the leather band and look under it because alot were stamped there

Quote by Johnson View Post
    Thanks for the info mr Bond, i have just a little question, how are you able to tell that this example in particular was never on service in africa or elsewhere?? I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge, thanks again yall
    As Gel65 posted, the leather sweatband would be very dirty and stained with sweat etc if it had been used.

I have to disagree with Dean on this being a pith helmet, pith is a material from the inner tissue of a plant and this type is made from pressed felted wool and to me all German sun helmets are tropenhelms as they were designed by the tropical institute in Germany and though the only area anywhere near the tropics that saw action in WWII was in East Africa, the name is that used by all collectors, though many also call all tropical helmets pith helmets.

As Kradman mentioned, there is usually a makers mark, size and date stamps under the leather sweatband, though many have an impressed makers mark on the visible section as well, in particular those made by JHS and ORL.

As you posted correctly, the Germany or made in Germany inkstamp will only be found on examples imported into the US in the postwar period to comply with US regulations regarding the marking of foreign goods and tax revenues.

As Timothy posted, 1st pattern examples tend to be more valuable -as I also mentioned- and as he has the less commonly seen wicker covered in canvas version he alludes to that being more valuable in which he is correct, though the Green canvas covered 1st patterns are the most sought after and consequently the most expensive to purchase, though the most expensive is the German made blue canvas covered Luftwaffe tropenhelm.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast