Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Tropical Helmet

Article about: Hi guys, I found this one for sale and need help and opinions about it. At first I like it, but now I have some doubts. I'll appreciate any help. Don't like the price too, about \\$550,00. And

?

Default Tropical Helmet

Hi guys,

I found this one for sale and need help and opinions about it. At first I like it, but now I have some doubts. I'll appreciate any help. Don't like the price too, about $550,00. And sorry but I don't have any other pictures.
    I'm sure I had already seen a reference thread about them, but I just can't find it again...

Tropical HelmetTropical HelmetTropical HelmetTropical HelmetTropical HelmetTropical Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tropical Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Tropical Helmet

The price is high for the 2nd model.

I've seen these at shows for only $250

?

Well i'm certainly no "expert " on Troppenheims but somethings not right, the interior does'nt match the outside, theres no fading of the exterior ,after all it is a sun helmet, in fact i see very little wear and tear and the chin strap looks very new and yet theres extensive wear internally, i'm wondering if the liner has been replaced or aged, the decals also look very clean, but i cant make out if they have indentations to them or have the pronounced formings

This looks like one of the surplus helmets found in the late 1950's. They were sold from ads in the back of various men's magazines. They all were stamped Germany under the liner to meet U. S. import regulations showing the country of origin. They later were found at gun shows all over. Many dealers attempted to remove the Germany stamp. It looks like a nice original.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thank you all for comments. Dave, i had the same impression that somerhing was wrong.
    Mr. Bob Coleman, your interventions and knowledge are always very helpfull and a great pleasure to read. Thank you. But I still would like to see the opinion of our friend Bond...

Because these are so common and cheap, they have not been faked. Bob is right, Unique Imports was still selling these into the 1970's.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by cart View Post
    Thank you all for comments. Dave, i had the same impression that somerhing was wrong.
    Mr. Bob Coleman, your interventions and knowledge are always very helpfull and a great pleasure to read. Thank you. But I still would like to see the opinion of our friend Bond...
    Regardless of the disparity between the liner band and the outside, it is way too expensive for this model of tropenhelm, $300 should get you a really good one. This one is on ebay at this time and though not mint with some issues, it still looks pretty good. Certainly worth watching IMHO. I assume he has "painted" over the swaz rather than it being denazed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1907494304...84.m1423.l2649
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Bond for comments and help. Your collection is amazing. I always have problems with the correct prices because they almost never are real for me. Costs of shipping to Brazil are not so cheap and I have to add the risk of an import tax of 60%. Not to mention the risk of helmets being apprehended by police.

Sounds like it is very difficult to collect in Brazil.

Another thing to mention on the example you posted is the red inner dome appears to have some cracks in it which are another reason whilst it is way too much money.

Thanks for the good words.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.