Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Visor Caps

Article about: Hello everyone I'm new here and am very interested and indeed curious about the construction materials used in WW2 German military peaked caps (Schirmmütze). My interest goes back to childho

The IWA is an acknowelged authority they don't have anything to sell, gain or lose - unlike some!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Visor Caps
    P
    Many

The Channel Island and would you beieve we also had Consentration camps - na never

They only show the cap from a front view they say its 1938 , but as I said before they have nothing to sell, gain or lose so why show more??

They only show a frontal view and they won't allow downloads. However this is what one of the world authorities says

Catalogue number

UNI 11250

Display status
    IWM London
    Production date
    Materials

badge: metal
    band: velvet
    cap: cloth
    peak: plastic

Alternative Names

FULL NAME: cap, -Dienstmutzen, black, Allgemeine SS, Obergruppenfuhrer 1938
    SIMPLE NAME: headdress, German

Creator

Erel, Berlin

Category
    uniforms and insignia

All Rights Reserved except for Fair Dealing exceptions otherwise permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

If you are interested in the full range of licenses available for this material, please contact one of our collections sales and licensing teams.
    Label

This cap was part of the uniform worn by the SS. The SS were Hitler's personal bodyguard and the elite of the Nazi private army. When the Nazis came to power, the SS rapidly gained in strength, becoming the key instrument of terror and control. On Hitler's orders they murdered leaders of the rival SA during the 'Night of the Long Knives' (30 June 1934). The SS took charge of the concentration camps in June 1934 and gradually consolidated them into five permanent complexes. By 1936 their leader Heinrich Himmler had also taken control of the police, including the notorious Gestapo.
    History note

Erel were one of the best military cap makers in German and numbered amongst their customers Hermann Wilhelm Goering.
    Physical description

Black fine wool cap with black velvet cap band, black plastic peak, silver piping around crown and top and bottom of velvet cap band and silver cap cords. The eagle and skull and crossbones badges in silver metal. Inside the crown of the cap SS symbol in gold and white. (Related items: cap, badges and cap cords)
    (a) stamped (in leather sweatband (b) printed (on label inside crown of cap) (c) stamped (in ink on inside of peak)

(a) Erel Patent Stirnschutz (b) Sonder-Anfertigung (c) RZM SS
    Associated people and organisations

Unknown
    Allgemeine SS

Then it goes to demonstrate the extent of your knowledge. Cheers

Waffen-SS: Its Uniforms, Insignia and Equipment 1938-1945 by Ksi

Page 84 - you'll hate it !!

I understand what you're trying to insinuate but It say's `Leather plastic' , in other words `plastic leather' I rest mine !

Page 84

Waffen-SS: Its Uniforms, Insignia and Equipment 1938-1945 by Ksi

And I, who expected a breakthrough, as a beginner I was just watching, expect even my caps DDR were SS, hehehe, for some time I was happy, hihihihi.

Hi, I'vetried to copy ad paste the photo, one only front view, but I cant coppy/paste it. However, this is the discription they give:

Catalogue number

UNI 11250

Display status
    IWM London
    Production date
    Materials

badge: metal
    band: velvet
    cap: cloth
    peak: leather plastic (ie Plastic leather/plestic peak)

Alternative Names

FULL NAME: cap, -Dienstmutzen, black, Allgemeine SS, Obergruppenfuhrer 1938
    SIMPLE NAME: headdress, German

Creator

Erel, Berlin

Category
    uniforms and insignia

All Rights Reserved except for Fair Dealing exceptions otherwise permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

If you are interested in the full range of licenses available for this material, please contact one of our collections sales and licensing teams.
    Label

This cap was part of the uniform worn by the SS. The SS were Hitler's personal bodyguard and the elite of the Nazi private army. When the Nazis came to power, the SS rapidly gained in strength, becoming the key instrument of terror and control. On Hitler's orders they murdered leaders of the rival SA during the 'Night of the Long Knives' (30 June 1934). The SS took charge of the concentration camps in June 1934 and gradually consolidated them into five permanent complexes. By 1936 their leader Heinrich Himmler had also taken control of the police, including the notorious Gestapo.
    History note

Erel were one of the best military cap makers in German and numbered amongst their customers Hermann Wilhelm Goering.
    Physical description

Black fine wool cap with black velvet cap band, black plastic peak, silver piping around crown and top and bottom of velvet cap band and silver cap cords. The eagle and skull and crossbones badges in silver metal. Inside the crown of the cap SS symbol in gold and white. (Related items: cap, badges and cap cords)
    (a) stamped (in leather sweatband (b) printed (on label inside crown of cap) (c) stamped (in ink on inside of peak)

(a) Erel Patent Stirnschutz (b) Sonder-Anfertigung (c) RZM SS
    Associated people and organisations

Unknown
    Allgemeine SS

You may find this useful as well (page 84 )Waffen-SS: Its Uniforms, Insignia and Equipment 1938-1945 by Ksi It clearly states that the peakes of the caps were black `PLASTIC' . Now we have two references that assert that the peakes (at least the peakes they had access to were plastic) . Ps they knew the differences between, fibre, rubber, leather, patent leather & `platsic'. here's the link to IWM cap -Dienstmutzen black Allgemeine SS Obergruppenfuhrer 1938 (UNI 11250)

Here is your documentary evidence of the pre-1945 use of plastic for visors....

Waffen-SS: Its Uniforms, Insignia and Equipment 1938-1945 by Ksi , Page 84 is what you want), cap -Dienstmutzen black Allgemeine SS Obergruppenfuhrer 1938 (UNI 11250),

If you require more please ask I'm always happy to help an open mind

regards

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast