Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book

Article about: Gentlemen, I posted this cap for review on another forum and wanted to hear opinions here as well. Some of you may recognize this cap - it is pictured in the Gary Wilkins book as an example

?

Default W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book

Gentlemen, I posted this cap for review on another forum and wanted to hear opinions here as well. Some of you may recognize this cap - it is pictured in the Gary Wilkins book as an example of a private purchase SS officer's cap. It is currently listed on the Oakleaf "collector connection." The recent discussion on the Karl Wolf SS white top lead me there, and I came across this listing.

I have a few questions about this cap - from the exterior it is a wonderful looking piece. The eskimo wool body is a refreshing alternative to all the trikot kleiderkasse caps we see so often. It seems to have a very "extramutze" look and feel to it.

The interior, however, concerns me. Given this was a private purchase piece, is it fair to expect that the interior would not resemble the type seen in contract NCO caps? The maker (Modern) is not one I have personally seen before - has anyone here?W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins bookW-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book
    P
    Many

?

Also, just to clear up any confusion for folks who may not be very familiar with the Wilkins book - this is NOT the cap pictured on the cover. That cap is undoubtedly original and was, I believe, sourced by Bill Shea some years ago. This cap is pictured on page 66-67. In fact, Wilkins sort of calls out the strange interior.

Basel, I can say this--one would never get anywhere near the asking price if you went to re-sell the hat down the road.
    The major problem is that it is a high-quality officer visor in doeskin on the outside, but EM/NCO-quality on the inside.

PS--would they not give you under the hood photos?
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Empty holes on the lining of an otherwise mint visor are never a good sign....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book  

?

One can see the loose thread that would have gone through these holes to the right where the skull pins penetrate. Its always possible for thread to break or a knot to become undone, especially when being examined by collectors curious about the internal structure. What about the long loops of black thread at the lower portion of the paste board? I'm assuming that these at one time held a cork strip in place. On the "other" forum, I see there is concern that the eagle's pins go through the lining, which doesn't bother me at all. Apart from the unusual materials, the cap appears perfectly constructed. Is the maker's logo printed onto the lining or the sweat diamond?

Arran, I would have to disagree--the threads that are shown here in this photo appear to be thicker than the fine thread that is loose.

Also, I do not care for the (re)-sewing:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS Officer's Visor from Wilkins book  

This black thread also is concerning--if it was holding a cork, I would expect it to have broken, or had remnants of the cork on it--but nothing.

It appears to be an attempt to make empty holes appear to serve a utilitarian purpose.

Welcome to the forum Bssela, Quote....

Listed on the Oakleaf "collector connection." The recent discussion on the Karl Wolf SS white top lead me there, and I came across this listing.

Could you let me know where the discussion of White KW visor was being discussed? I have looked on the Oakleaf site and can not see anything related to this item?

?

I believe the reference is actually to the supposed "Karl Koch" white-top offered for sale. There also exists, of course, a Karl Wolff white-top that is perfectly original and with provenance...

I was doubting that it was for sale, Stephen Wolfe sold it 2years ago. I tried to buy it but I was 2weeks to late, Stephen had already taken a deposit in it, so I missed out there, wanted it to go with my Black one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast