Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Waffen SS Schirmmütze authentication required

Article about: Hello, I purchased a Waffen SS peaked cap 20 years ago and wondering if it is all ok. Cheers, Frank

I would also note that the shape of the cap cover in the first item as well as the width of the cap band diverge from the originals in ways that are pretty tangible.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen SS Schirmmütze authentication required
    P
    Many

Waffen SS Schirmmütze authentication requiredWaffen SS Schirmmütze authentication requiredWaffen SS Schirmmütze authentication requiredWaffen SS Schirmmütze authentication requiredWaffen SS Schirmmütze authentication requiredcap band width.... which is to say the measurement from the bottom of the cap cover, the top piping, the velvet band, and the bottom piping....
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-16-2015 at 02:37 AM.

The request here was for "technical reasons," and this is my interpretation of such a question.

Quote by Galland62 View Post
    Panzer sidecap, NSDAP visor cap, Bit nervous to post now. Maybe don't want to know
    Better to know than always wonder. After many years of collecting, I likely could have bought a small house on the money wasted on fakes. Back in the day, there was no Internet or accurate reference books. Never forget the guys who sell you bad stuff. If they are honest, they will refund you. If not, you know that they are fraudsters.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Stonemint and FB have both given you detailed reasons the piece is bad. The insignia is also reproduction. These things can be easily spotted with experience. Stonemint, FB, Wagriff and myself have close to 200 years of collecting experience. We will all admit that we are still learning. It is not always easy to learn your treasure is not what you thought it was. However, study the threads FB posted and you will see that this is a classic Janke, which is defrinetly post war. When you bought this hat 20 years ago, the cap was likely no more than a couple of years old.
    I have to say wow!!! The forum is a little sleepy sometimes, but nothing can quite wake it like an SS peaked cap, especially a controversial one, 5 pages in a very short time! I just had to see what it was about and I learned something right off the bat about SS peaked caps although I'll probably never own one unless it's an amazing stroke of luck and find the real deal at a yard sale for a couple hundred bucks.

Funny thing is that over the years, "janke" is a term I've heard occasionally to describe junky items or something that isn't quite right, coincidence I guess, but an interesting one anyway.

Urban Dictionary: Janke

Welcome and I'd say you do want to know your other are caps real or not. My wife says I have a strange obsession with this stuff, she thinks I revere it. I tell her they are battlefield trophies, and lest not history be forgotten, therefore especially meaningful. Don't worry, there is a point coming soon I don't worship this stuff as she suggests, but I won't deny I've always had a strange fascination with it... BUT! I need to know with absolute certainty that the items are real. Doesn't matter how small the piece is, a button, I need to know it was there, or I will have zero feeling for it.

Let's not admire junk, or copies. I'm not in love with what the items represent, quite the contrary. The items should represent the conflict, and how it ended, the incredibly heroic efforts of so many. I need to know that the items I hold in such high admiration (yes, my collection is really important to me) were indeed there, went through a war, a very dark period in time, but light shined in the end, good prevailed over evil, although it was not even close to that simple... and much darkness still followed in many countries involved.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Better to know than always wonder. After many years of collecting, I likely could have bought a small house on the money wasted on fakes. Back in the day, there was no Internet or accurate reference books. Never forget the guys who sell you bad stuff. If they are honest, they will refund you. If not, you know that they are fraudsters.
    We are grateful for your sixty years of experience and your gracefulness in sharing with us all.
    It goes without saying that we are all the targets of fraud. I hardly think the fact merits so much attention.
    What matters is knowledge and its examination in the proper conditions. Bob has made that possible, while he and I
    endured other websites where the tumult and emotion of the moment obscured the work of the mind and the weighing of the evidence.
    The lords of the flies want you to collect stale air and empty hopes, but no authentic SS regalia.
    I am also the target of highly refined psychological operations as to the now utterly worthless nature of my own collection,
    as the SS regalia market empties out like a barrage balloon ruptured in an atomic bomb blast...

I also go out of my way to be as polite as possible, but being asked the same thing several times a day eventually causes a collapse of decorum.

Waffen SS Schirmmütze authentication requiredWaffen SS Schirmmütze authentication requiredand let me further didactic in a niggling way: the grey cap is not a Waffen SS peaked cap. It is a grey SS peaked cap, worn by all branches of the SS.

Waffen SS Schirmmütze authentication requiredCertain officers in full time billets of the Allgemeine SS wore a grey uniform.

- - ------- - -

It is a Waffen SS peaked cap if you can associate it with a clear provenance.....

If you study these guys posts (FB, BOB, DougB, Wag, Harry,) just to name just a few, you will learn the illusive nature of SS items. There is so much money to made in fakes that genuine items must be critiqued to the utmost degree. That way, we members, do not get burned. Plus, study study study, and then study some more. Especially on top notch SS items.

?

Quote by Galland62 View Post
    Could I have technical reasons why this cap is not correct instead of thumbs down. To me it indicates the people who make these comments do not have the knowledge.
    This is the first time I have used these kinds of forums and it seems it is easy to dismiss something. Please give me technical reasons and as much information as you have to share.
    Thank you.
    Really... !! Where is your knowledge... What an "Insult"... Mods.. ..G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast