Wehrmacht officer's visor

Article about: Hello all, I picked this visor up from a reputable seller on Gunbroker, so I'm not really too concerned about authenticity, but I thought I'd bring it to the forum and get some opinions anyw

Default Wehrmacht officer's visor

Hello all, I picked this visor up from a reputable seller on Gunbroker, so I'm not really too concerned about authenticity, but I thought I'd bring it to the forum and get some opinions anyway. Thanks

Todd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b (1).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	730936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b (2).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	730937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d (1).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	730938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d (2).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	730939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f (1).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	730940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f (2).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	730941

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Not a bad cap, First thing I notice is the chin strap buttons are wrong, should be pebbled aluminum for an officers chincord, could have been put on there to bump the price from a normal NCO cap to look like an officers, also most officer caps I have seen are doeskin wool, this one is tricot, not saying its not possible, all IMO. lets see what the experts say.

Is it me or is there an outline for another eagle behind the current eagle?
    I'm no visor expert but my gut instinct says an EM/NCO visor made up with an added officers cord to make it more appealing.

I have a tricot pioneer officers visor believed to be entirely original, so it's possible I guess.

Cap is original. No doubt.

But it isn't an officer cap. It's an EM/NCO tricot cap that has had the black leather chin strap replaced with officer cords.

I thought the same thing about that eagle todd, maybe it just drooped down a bit from its original position? also the cap is alittle bit tattered so its possible it was originaly found without a eagle or chinstrap and somone dressed it back up for resale, its still all original just may not be all original to each other.

I agree with you Maximus.

?

As stated, this is an issue quality enlisted ranks cap, and ,IMHO, just needs a decent quality enlisted chinstrap to be complete.

BobS

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'm not too upset at the news; I got a really good deal on the cap, one way or the other. I don't suppose there's anyone out there that would like to trade an NCO cord for an officer's, is there?

Back in the 70s & 80s, it was very common for unscrupulous individuals to take EM/NCO caps and swap the chinstrap for cords, and voila, an instant Officer visor (with an instant mark-up).
    They did it so much that it is difficult to find private-purchase NCO visors (ie, with silk linings and doeskin wool bodies) to this day.

In any event, if you find a contract cap (cotton lining, heavy tricot, and a teller form) with officer cords, it is immediately considered a post-war upgrade (unless the hat comes with impeccable provenance showing the upgrade occurred during the war).
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

I forgot to add that it is very difficult to find a period leather strap that fits an NCO hat exactly--they are usually too big or too small (and you cannot move the buckles due to the age of the leather).
    NEC SOLI CEDIT