Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is this overseas cap?

Article about: Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm helping a friend go through a trunk-full of militaria brought back by his father at the end of the war. It's mostly Luftwaffe-related: navigator's

?

Default What is this overseas cap?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm helping a friend go through a trunk-full of militaria brought back by his father at the end of the war. It's mostly Luftwaffe-related: navigator's training map case, peaked cap, holster, aircraft instruments and data plates, etc. I've identified almost everything except this side cap. I've searched Google and Google Images and haven't found anything exactly like it. It's probably common and I'm sure many of you will immediately recognize it. The color appears to be faded black, but it could be dark blue. The pyramid-shaped trim is actually more gold than it appears in the photo. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this overseas cap?   What is this overseas cap?  

What is this overseas cap?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is this overseas cap?
    P
    Many

?

Wow, forty-eight views and no replies! Can it be that rare or have I committed a forum faux pas?

Quote by SPoff View Post
    Wow, forty-eight views and no replies! Can it be that rare or have I committed a forum faux pas?
    The only faux pas you have committed is that you did not wait to hear from some of our knowledgeable members that are not on here 24/7.
    Please remember, we are from all over the world and are not on here all of the time. We have lives, hobbies and other commitments as well.
    That being said, welcome to the forum!
    Please be patient, someone will help you.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Sadly I'm not especially knowledgeable, but I believe that the chevron (or soutache) on the cap (Feldmutze), if it is in gold yellow indicates reconnaissance or cavalry troops of the Heer. This would match the black colour of the cap. Presumably the national (eagle) emblem normally above the tricolor cockade has been removed at some time. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome to the forum, Philip

?

Thank you, Ralph and Philip. And I apologize for my impatience. Being retired, I sometimes forget that other people have things to do!

There was a small (2.5" wingtip to wingtip) eagle clutching a swastika loose in the chest and it occurred to me that it might belong on this cap. But there is not enough space above the soutache to accommodate it and the emblem is not curved. It could fit on the side of the cap but there are no blemishes in the cloth indicating where the pins might have penetrated.

Steve

Hello Steve,
    If original, this cap would have had a cloth eagle stitched to the front.
    Is this cap black, or dark blue? If blue, it would have been naval related.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

This cap is really odd.

The cockade is Luftwaffe, no doubts about that.

BUT it is cut is the form of a Soviet Pilotka cap.

Can you show the inside please?

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Welcome!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Ralph, the construction is such that the inner crown does not expand upward, so there's no space even for a cloth eagle. I'm fairly certain the color is faded black. I just spoke with the owner, a good friend, and he confirmed that his father brought it home in 1946 and it has been in a trunk ever since. Were these things faked right after the war? I would think that they would have been reviled rather than seen as worthy of faking. I can say with certainty that everything else in the trunk is authentic.

Ade, here's a photo of the inside. My friend's father was a pilot and all the other German stuff in the trunk is Luftwaffe-related.

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this overseas cap?  

Things were put together even back then for souvenir hungry Allied soldiers!

I am certain it is Soviet.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I may be wrong but i am sure i have seen these worn by Russians who served in the Luftwaffe hence the reason there is no eagle on the cap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast