Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1 Unfollow this topic USMC White Canvas Cap (well, was white at one time)

Article about: Hello Folks - Found this at a local antique shop and not sure what I may have, if anything at all. But the price was low and it looked pretty good, IMHO, so here it is. I would have to say i

Default 1 Unfollow this topic USMC White Canvas Cap (well, was white at one time)

Hello Folks -

Found this at a local antique shop and not sure what I may have, if anything at all. But the price was low and it looked pretty good, IMHO, so here it is.

I would have to say it is unissued, although well yellowed and with foxing and stain. Only marking is a size tag in the back and under the leather sweatband.

Has the blue felt band under the white, locations for side buttons are brass grommets and a brass grommet for EGA. The EGA that is in it does not even pretend to look original but seems to be more of a place-holder for an original.

Under the sweatband is a woven wicker(?) band. Size is 7.

Any thoughts appreciated! Any criticisms also..., the cost was under $25. It was the only military item in the case.

Thanks for looking!

- Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1 Unfollow this topic USMC White Canvas Cap (well, was white at one time)   1 Unfollow this topic USMC White Canvas Cap (well, was white at one time)  

1 Unfollow this topic USMC White Canvas Cap (well, was white at one time)   1 Unfollow this topic USMC White Canvas Cap (well, was white at one time)  

Last edited by MikeS0000; 06-25-2019 at 03:04 AM.

?

Emblem is an original P-1937 EM dress EGA

Cap probably looks fairly unworn because there was little need for dress blues during WWII outside of some ships detachments, embassies, and stateside units. Very likely was worn, at most, once or twice by a Marine who mustered out after the war. By the wicker-work, I'd say pre-war cap, however the emblem could very well be original to it

Thank you Brig! With the wicker frame I was also thinking Early or Pre-War manufacture. I will try to add the side buttons and chinstrap. Any thoughts on having it cleaned or leave as-is?

?

I would leave it as is, unless it shows signs of active mildew

Amen.

?

These white covers get duty super easy, especially when they sit in duffle bags and foot lockers for decades. This one isn't even that bad, now you just need a black leather chinstrap along with the screw in buttons. Shouldn't be hard to find them on ebay

Thank you Gel! I'll post some pics once I get it rounded out. - Mike