Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1940 Tam O'shanter cap badge backing colour

Article about: Help needed here !!!! What Scottish Regiment / Cap Badge goes with this 1940 dated Tam O'shanter - with a green square cloth backing mount ? Cheers Gary J.

?

Default 1940 Tam O'shanter cap badge backing colour

Help needed here !!!!
    What Scottish Regiment / Cap Badge goes with this 1940 dated Tam O'shanter - with a green square cloth backing mount ?

Cheers

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 Tam O'shanter cap badge backing colour   1940 Tam O'shanter cap badge backing colour  

Default Re: 1940 Tam O'shanter cap badge backing colour

Hi Gary,

I can't think of any UK Scottish unit that wore a plain green backing patch on the Tammy or any other headgear. It might perhaps be Canadian or for another nation, though I cannot think of by whom at this time.

As far as I understand these caps, the backing patch was most commonly held on by the badge during the WWII period and it is only in the post war period that the backings are sewn to the Tammy. It might be a wartime example that was used post war or one used by another nation or unlikely by a non Scottish Scottish soldier attached to a Scottish unit.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Cheers Jerry,
    The Canadian side of things had crossed my mind ....

There is a very faint inpression on the square .. which looks like the arms of a thistle rising on both sides ...

The Tam itself is clearly marked 1940 ... so I'm jumping to the conclusion it's WW2 issue with WW2 backing and badge ....
    Hopefully the correct detail will be forthcoming from one of the members here ...

Cheers

Gary J.

?

After some digging through books .....
    The Possibility of the Durham Light Infantry has come to the surface ...

Any confirmation on this one ?

Gary J.

My best guess would be 4th Canadian Armored Division. They had a plain green formation patch. I just bought a tam o shanter worn by a vet who served in this division but it didn't have a cloth backing for the badge.
    -Johannes