Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

52 dated British made slouch hat

Article about: A number of these NOS 1950's dated British made slouch hats are for sale on the bay and I could not resist as the price is pretty good. Condition is very good as they have never been issued

Default 52 dated British made slouch hat

A number of these NOS 1950's dated British made slouch hats are for sale on the bay and I could not resist as the price is pretty good. Condition is very good as they have never been issued and do not have moth bites, yippee!!!!
    This example is 1952 dated and is maker marked WA Hatton Ltd and it also has a matching C over WD arrow for 1952.
    Size is very small and the seller has them as Gurkha slouch hats and the one I bought came with a staybright 7th Gurkha's badge in a zippy bag.

Very pleased with it, whatever the truth of it being Gurkha or not, as I notice in another thread that it was stated that post WWII Gurkha slouchies would not have been worn with a turned up brim so these with a popper for the side should in theory not be Gurkha issue. Certainly with newer examples for the Gurkha's I have seen they did not have poppers for the brim as they were worn flat.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 52 dated British made slouch hat   52 dated British made slouch hat  

52 dated British made slouch hat   52 dated British made slouch hat  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hadn't even crossed my mind that they made these post war,thanks for enlightening me.

Can't do better than that jerry,nice buy indeed............

Thanks guys.

It goes quite nicely with this 1951 dated Bush Jacket and both are small sizes.

Jackets Bush, Khaki, 1950 pattern
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 52 dated British made slouch hat   52 dated British made slouch hat  

Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, I have just acquired an identical slouch hat to yours and also at a bargain price from the bay. It's in mint condition, tiny at 5 7/8 and WD stamped inside the sweat band. It is made by Vero & Everitt but unfortunately undated, although I assume post-war.

Is it possible to date an item by the letter and number above and below the WD stamp, or were these quality control/ batch number stamps? Mine has a 'B' above and '98' below respectively.

Cheers,

Ian.

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Hi Jerry, I have just acquired an identical slouch hat to yours and also at a bargain price from the bay. It's in mint condition, tiny at 5 7/8 and WD stamped inside the sweat band. It is made by Vero & Everitt but unfortunately undated, although I assume post-war.

Is it possible to date an item by the letter and number above and below the WD stamp, or were these quality control/ batch number stamps? Mine has a 'B' above and '98' below respectively.

Cheers,

Ian.
    Ian, a good score, I considered getting more as they are so cheap.

B is 1951 which fits with my 1951 dated example. Nice that it has the WD arrow mark on it.
    Regards,

Jerry

1951, thanks Jerry, it's in absolutely immaculate condition too. I'd show pictures but its identical to yours so no point really. It was only £20 inc. P&P but it's so tiny it doesn't even fit on my 11 year old sons head. I'd be really interested to know where they are all coming from.

Quote by canti44 View Post
    1951, thanks Jerry, it's in absolutely immaculate condition too. I'd show pictures but its identical to yours so no point really. It was only £20 inc. P&P but it's so tiny it doesn't even fit on my 11 year old sons head. I'd be really interested to know where they are all coming from.
    I would assume that a stash of unissued very small size examples was sold out of MOD stores. These must be the last of the line as other than these, I don't think they were used much after the late 40's.

For the price, they are well worth grabbing whilst they can still be got as sooner they will sell out and they will get more expensive. It is a shame they are so small, but if they were bigger they probably would not have survived in the stores.
    Regards,

Jerry