Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked

Article about: I picked this up today on the way home from working in Fishguard, in the same antiques shop as some of the other British items I bought recently. A little bit of damage, but most of it is in

Default 8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked

I picked this up today on the way home from working in Fishguard, in the same antiques shop as some of the other British items I bought recently.

A little bit of damage, but most of it is in very good condition and it is nicely maker marked and broad arrow stamped for 1940 and with a Q over the crowsfeet. The chin strap has broken, but it is behind the sweat band and can't be seen.

I have no idea what these go for and payed a couple of quid under the asking price.

I am not sure why but the system has done something funny with the last picture?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked   8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked  

8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked   8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked  

8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: 8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked

Not something you see every day.

Very nice item Jerry. Now, of course, you will need the rest of the uniform

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Not something you see every day.

Very nice item Jerry. Now, of course, you will need the rest of the uniform

Rob
    Hmmmm, yes, if only, maybe!

I thought it would go nice with my GHQ India BD and though the 8th served in North Africa, Italy and Burma, they were stationed in India before the war until about 1941. It will just sit on a shelf on it's own as I don't have any mannequins.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Interesting cap.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Interesting cap.
    I had never seen one in the flesh before today and could only assume it was correct for the Gurkha's, as the construction and markings all look good and the badge looks to have settled into it.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Must admit I have'nt seen one of these in decades, pretty rare to get one in good condition, normally kept by the wearer after demob, have'nt even seen newer ones for sale in recent years, or the tan bush hat either

I like that. Well done.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

just adding that the badge is that worn by the Pipers and Drummers of the regiment in the 1930's and also that this type of hat is called a Kilmarnock.
    Regards,

Jerry

Adding pics of the imprint on the cap and the reverse of the badge.

I thought as a paying member I had unlimited editing? I would have just edited these onto the previous post.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked   8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked  

8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked   8th Gurkha rifles pillbox hat 1940 dated/WD marked  

Regards,

Jerry