Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

AFS Cap: WW2 Period?

Article about: Hello folks. Another piece of headgear I need help identifying. For sale here is an Auxiliary Fire Service cap. It seems a nice example, badge and all. However, I am well aware that the AFS

Default AFS Cap: WW2 Period?

Hello folks.

Another piece of headgear I need help identifying. For sale here is an Auxiliary Fire Service cap. It seems a nice example, badge and all. However, I am well aware that the AFS existed for some time postwar, and I'd like to double check this one to make sure it's a wartime cap.
    This is fairly urgent, as the listing expires soon and has a lot of interest.

Best regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AFS Cap: WW2 Period?   AFS Cap: WW2 Period?  

AFS Cap: WW2 Period?   AFS Cap: WW2 Period?  

AFS Cap: WW2 Period?  

NCA
    ?

Silberstons have been prolific hatmakers for many years. It looks exactly the same as my 1943 dated one construction wise albeit better quality. Im fairly sure the AFS became the NFS though around 1942 iirc?
    Mine is made by Comptons.

Quote by NCA View Post
    Silberstons have been prolific hatmakers for many years. It looks exactly the same as my 1943 dated one construction wise albeit better quality. Im fairly sure the AFS became the NFS though around 1942 iirc?
    Mine is made by Comptons.
    Could have been rebadged at some point, maybe?
    At any rate, is this cap one you'd consider a 'good' one?

B.B.

NCA
    ?

Rebadged is something I could only get a clue on if it was in my hands...over the years the badges tend to 'sink' into the cloth leaving an outline. its not a hard and fast method but it gives you an idea if its always been on the cap/beret whatever...

Personally it looks like a good wartime cap by a quality maker and if the badge has always been on it, pre nationalisation.

As it's relatively cheap at £25, I'll pick it up. Once I have it I'll take it out into the daylight and take some better pictures.
    Thank you very much for the help!

B.B.