Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Anti-Flash Hood

Article about: Here is something I know nothing about. I picked this up in a lot, together with an Argentinian M1 helmet, and some 7.62 cases dated 1978. The helmet looks OK for the Falklands War era, but

?

Default Anti-Flash Hood

Here is something I know nothing about. I picked this up in a lot, together with an Argentinian M1 helmet, and some 7.62 cases dated 1978. The helmet looks OK for the Falklands War era, but I have drawn a blank on dating this hood. It does not feel like 100% cotton, as I know these were changed to cotton after the Falklands. Any ideas if this is correct for the Falklands era? Is the 78 on the label the date of manufacture?
    Thanks in advance,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anti-Flash Hood   Anti-Flash Hood  

Anti-Flash Hood   Anti-Flash Hood  

Anti-Flash Hood   Anti-Flash Hood  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Default Re: Anti-Flash Hood

Evening Andy!

Looks good to me. Your guess on the manufacture date looks right. The hood would not be cotton, but a fire resistant polymer called 'NOMEX' that has been in use since the 60's

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned. There really is not much information on these on the intertubes.
    Interestingly, the seller claimed that these items (mask, helmet and casings) came from somebody who was on HMS Ardent. Highly unlikely I think that the sailor would have had them on board with him at the time of her sinking. All the dates for this lot seem to be correct though. The name "Walker" and the rank, which I believe to be Marine Engineers Mate (now obsolete I also believe) may help though.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I like it Andy it would look great on a display head!

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Thanks Eric, it would look good. Now I have to find some room for it!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anti-Flash Hood  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]