Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

any idea of value?

Article about: Iv had this lot for last 40 years . I lived next door to the gentleman it belonged to. I know he served in Sicily , Italy and was captured at Arnhem. Any idea of value as want to sell it . I

Default any idea of value?

Iv had this lot for last 40 years . I lived next door to the gentleman it belonged to. I know he served in Sicily , Italy and was captured at Arnhem. Any idea of value as want to sell it . I have a few other books about map reading that he gave me .
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture any idea of value?   any idea of value?  

any idea of value?   any idea of value?  

also have his service and pay book which shows jump and glider training . a lot of it seems to be cut out or pages missing cant remember exactly why he did tell me .

more pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture any idea of value?   any idea of value?  

any idea of value?  

more pics

any idea of value?  

As a collector's forum, we don't generally give values here. That's something that's up to the individual, to research and look at other examples of their items and how they are priced.

The helmet wouldn't have anything to do with the rest of the grouping, unless the gentleman had a relative that served on the Home Front. It is what is known as a Zuckerman helmet, commonly used by many of the Civil Defence services - most notably the Fire Guard - from 1941 onwards. From what I can see, it appears to be missing its liner. They are not especially valuable helmets, even when complete and in mint condition.

As for the rest, I'm not familiar enough with these items to make a call on them. The Paybook appears to have been censored. It's certainly interesting that these things have provenance, but most collectors buy the items, not the story. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Regards, B.B.

thanks for info . yes liner is missing . I remember him telling me a story about the wearing the helmet in north africa but guessing it was just a story !!

Quote by mattmck73 View Post
    thanks for info . yes liner is missing . I remember him telling me a story about the wearing the helmet in north africa but guessing it was just a story !!
    Definitely a story in that case, unfortunately. Zuckermans were made of an inferior quality of steel - as indicated by the holes drilled in the brim - and would have been severely unsuitable for active combat use. This is true of all Home Front-used helmets. In fact, I'd say it was a safe assumption that no Zuckerman helmet left the British Isles before the war's conclusion.

Interesting to note as well that while they were usually supplied with liners, they were not factory-fitted. It is quite common to find liners attached with bootlaces or pieces of string. You sometimes even find them fitted with liners from Mk2 Brodie helmets. Generally, whatever the owner had to hand at the time. Part of the 'make do and mend' philosophy of the Home Front.

My own example, used by a senior member of the Fire Guard:

any idea of value?

B.B.

Yes i reckon just a story or the old guy is a bit confused!...

i was thinking of putting the lot on ebay . unless anyone has a better idea ?

i was thinking of putting the lot on ebay . unless anyone has a better idea ?
    ebay is probably your best bet as there unless you are unlucky they will achieve there true market value, though I am sure there are others besides me who would be interested in the para beret and any related items.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast