Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Any ideas? Unusual 'flying helmet' / aircraft controllers helmet

Article about: Anybody got any ideas on what this is? From its construction and material I would say that it is British or Commonwealth made. The earpieces (doughnuts) feel heavier than on a normal British

Default Any ideas? Unusual 'flying helmet' / aircraft controllers helmet

Anybody got any ideas on what this is?

From its construction and material I would say that it is British or Commonwealth made. The earpieces (doughnuts) feel heavier than on a normal British flying helmet and there is no facility to connect headphones so it is clearly used for sound deadening. There are no stamps or labels present or visible.
    My personal view is that it may be a helmet for an aircraft controller (or similar) on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier - I'm sure I have seen pictures of similar ones being worn.
    There was a comment from the dealer that it maybe RAAF/RNZAF related for use by personnel in the rear of transport aircraft, however, I'm not sure if they have got confused with the RNZAF flying helmet shown below
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any ideas? Unusual 'flying helmet' / aircraft controllers helmet   Any ideas? Unusual 'flying helmet' / aircraft controllers helmet  

Any ideas? Unusual 'flying helmet' / aircraft controllers helmet   Any ideas? Unusual 'flying helmet' / aircraft controllers helmet  

Any ideas? Unusual 'flying helmet' / aircraft controllers helmet   Any ideas? Unusual 'flying helmet' / aircraft controllers helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images Any ideas? Unusual 'flying helmet' / aircraft controllers helmet 

I think it is an inner helmet for an aircraft carrier deck hand, a hard shell would go over top. the earpieces are noise dampening - not for communications. The open top would allow for air to circulate for cooling.

Quote by asterperious View Post
    I think it is an inner helmet for an aircraft carrier deck hand, a hard shell would go over top. the earpieces are noise dampening - not for communications. The open top would allow for air to circulate for cooling.
    I too agree with this.
    It certainly looks like it.

Cheers
    Nuno

That was along the lines that I was thinking, although I think I have seen a picture of one being worn without a helmet. Do you think that this is a piece in its own right or do you think it is a liner from a hard shell (if so what did it look like) and do you concur that it is a British / Commonwealth piece?
    Anybody got any pictures of them in use? I have been searching the web for the past few days but haven't found anything

I haven't done a decent search as yet, but it would be a sound protection helmet for sure. Could be for ground crew use or maybe carriers. It looks like the sort of baggy-arsed equipment that would be Commonwealth issue for it's time period.

Cheers, Willie.