Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aussie slouch hat question

Article about: Hi all I realise these hats are probably to modern for this forum . but I was wondering what peoples opinion is on the first slouch pictured . I received it yesterday with some other gear .

Default Aussie slouch hat question

Hi all I realise these hats are probably to modern for this forum . but I was wondering what peoples opinion is on the first slouch pictured . I received it yesterday with some other gear . My question is since it does not have a clip to hold up the side is this a military issue ? I thought it was because of the chin strap . which my other two slouch's from that era ( see pictures )do not have the chin strap but have a clasp to hold the side up.were these added both the chin strap and clasp by the person it was issued to or were they issued with them ? just a little confused is all any help would be great cheers matty

Aussie slouch hat questionAussie slouch hat questionAussie slouch hat questionAussie slouch hat question

Aussie slouch hat questionAussie slouch hat questionAussie slouch hat question

Aussie slouch hat questionAussie slouch hat questionAussie slouch hat question

Cheers mate what a great site

?

If memory serves, they used to issue something called a Grade 2 which was a second slouchy that the member used for work and going bush, driving trucks, that sort of thing. These were sometimes issued with no catch on the side and without a puggaree. Otherwise the catch has come away without a trace (sometimes they are very poorly sewn on). I cant make out the year on your slouchy but it is definitely military issue because of the broad arrow stamp (government property). What are the studs in the lower sides? Something home made for holding the chin strap?

Oz

?

Ubique is correct...though this one seems to have had a catch at one stage as the stitching for one is present on the inside.....akubra slouchies were the best

?

I think the stitching on the inside is another slouch hat? (No chin strap on that one).

Oz

Hi guys . Oz the chin strap is being held up by some type of large folding clip /pin / studs .Home made I have no idea and you are right I posted two other slouch's from the same era as comparisons . the grade 2 info is very interesting and this has sounds like that is what it would be . Thanks for the info guys .
    matty

?

Yeh the chin straps are held by a circular stud with a semi circular raised ara that the slit in the chin strap slips over....a real pain in the arse....some blokes staple them in to the leather liner or tie nots

I have a 'nam era one that I wear doing the mowing.
    It doesn't have the sweat band in it and years ago a Vietnam vet I knew said guys used to take them out to help soak up the jungle sweat ...and it was more comfortable that way. anyone else heard of this practice?

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Yeh, especially in the heat with prolonged use the leather would just fail, the stitching comes away...leather would crack due to sweat and be uncomfortable....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast