Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats

Article about: Lovely hats! Always wanted to have an example, but never managed to get one yet. Rob

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Dopey me
    No doubt on the date of this one Rene, very nice. The vents do not look as green, if that makes sense, as the one posted by monochrome and those I normally consider to be post war. I am happy to bow to the superior knowledge of you and your fellow Aussies and good to see all the variants that have been shown in this thread. A great learning tool this thread, which is why I pinned it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks mate .
    At a guess it's had the eyelets replaced at some stage due to rust maybe.

Look at the rear of the eyelets where there crimped , lots of notches/splits more then say 12, all mine have 5 or 6 at the most , I looked at all 16 slouch hats I own dating from WW2 to current .

Maybe a theory ?

Extra crimped eyelets not sure but they are green for sure

pete

Aussie WW2 Slouch HatsAussie WW2 Slouch Hats

Quote by monochrome View Post
    Extra crimped eyelets not sure but they are green for sure

pete

Aussie WW2 Slouch HatsAussie WW2 Slouch Hats
    With yours pete the paint has all come off showing the metal finish by the looks of it

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    No doubt on the date of this one Rene, very nice. The vents do not look as green, if that makes sense, as the one posted by monochrome and those I normally consider to be post war. I am happy to bow to the superior knowledge of you and your fellow Aussies and good to see all the variants that have been shown in this thread. A great learning tool this thread, which is why I pinned it.
    That's why I posted the 53 gents. It has the same light green vents as Monochromes example. There is no doubting Rene's 45's . A browny green for sure. Short term manufacture period I wonder (1945).
    Great items as always Rene.

Anyway it's all good

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    That's why I posted the 53 gents. It has the same light green vents as Monochromes example. There is no doubting Rene's 45's . A browny green for sure. Short term manufacture period I wonder (1945).
    Great items as always Rene.
    That's what I was wondering, is there a crossover period between the "classic" wartime version and the "typical" post war version, a mixture of both types perhaps.

Maybe between you Aussies you could post a learning type of post showing the variations, a sort of one stop post with the wartime and post war versions, even the earlier versions if you have them, with the variations in the vents, the poppers against hook and eye type, edge trim or not, makers marks etc?

It would be great to see it if it can be done.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Australia View Post
    With yours pete the paint has all come off showing the metal finish by the looks of it
    Sorry I was typing when you posted.
    The vents looked light green in the first set of images but appear to lack paint (brass) in reality. This is what I based my first opinion upon. The combination of light green vents, tan brim edging and Carr stud made me assume early 50's, as per the example I posted.
    Your slouch may be ok but it's hard to say with-out some form of paint left on the vents I feel. Maybe WW2 maybe a later 40's early 50's build. It's not clear cut.
    It's a bugger the liners missing.

I spoke to a friend and respected Fur Felt collector down this way and he stated,
    "A dark green almost brown eyelet ( which can be confusing) was used in the production of Fur Felts during 1945, maybe as early as late 1944 with some makers, not all. These are not to common but were issued. Reason for colour change is unknown."

There we have it I feel. Blows away the old Red/brown theory to a degree. But as he stated the dark green colour can be confused as a greeny brown and this is where the popular belief re brown/reddish brown may have originated from. If your colour blind your buggered.
    I found this a very interesting exercise I must say.

Cheers
    Dave

A group shot of my three slouchies, two Aussie made and one British made.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast