Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats

Article about: Lovely hats! Always wanted to have an example, but never managed to get one yet. Rob

Great photos Mick! I believe I also have the style of top your Grandmother is wearing! And very interesting photo of the aunty before. I havnt seen that uniform and that cap badge before.

a yet to arrive but recent purchase, early WWII Aussie Slouch hat with brown vents, hook and eye brim fitting and a tan edge trim. It does not appear to be dated but all the features match the pre or early war type. It has a colour patch on it for an arty unit but I can't work out which and that might be iffy, time will tell but the slouchie itself looks 100% pukka from the pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats   Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats   Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

The puggaree could be more recent too. Maybe post a picture of the inside?
    The stamps sometimes wore off the liner. When you get the hat, hold the liner on an angle to the light and you may spot a faint impression of the maker, date and broad arrow which would have been there. Also, look very closely at the tan vents in case they have been re-coloured.

Oz.

Quote by Ubique View Post
    The puggaree could be more recent too. Maybe post a picture of the inside?
    The stamps sometimes wore off the liner. When you get the hat, hold the liner on an angle to the light and you may spot a faint impression of the maker, date and broad arrow which would have been there. Also, look very closely at the tan vents in case they have been re-coloured.

Oz.
    I will look at all of it very carefully. I agree the pug might have been switched for a newer one but I thought the tan edge trim is not seen on post war examples, the same for the vents but perhaps they have been recoloured though that would be a new low for me to see.

It is an ebay purchase so if it is not as described it will go back.
    Regards,

Jerry

As mentioned , To me the pug is a recent addition , with the chin strap , also I think the sweat band is not period original ,

But it appears the hat itself is a genuine WW2 example .

Quote by Australia View Post
    As mentioned , To me the pug is a recent addition , with the chin strap , also I think the sweat band is not period original ,

But it appears the hat itself is a genuine WW2 example .
    I also wondered about the sweatband, it seems to have perhaps undergone major surgery. I contacted the seller about the sweatband but he listed it as being posted on a Sunday evening and has as yet not replied. He must have a better post office than me as I can't post parcels on asunday evening.

Oh well, time will tell how much of this is original, the pug and patch I had thought were perhaps replaced, but the sweatband and strap would be pushing it a bit too far.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I had not thought about the sweat band being replaced, but that makes sense now. Very likely replaced imho.

Oz.

Latest Aussie slouchie pick up, it is in good condition except it had no pug band so I purchased a modern NOS example for now until maybe one day I can find a period example of the correct size as this is a big size slouchie. Nicely maker marked and dated with a V578 maker mark and size stamp of 7&1/2 and Carr Aust popper and red brown grommets. There is no obvious signs it ever had an Aussie badge on the turn up so perhaps was one used by the British with only a badge on the pug band, as though it is in good condition, it is not mint unissued IMO. It was a BIN from ebay for a very good price.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats   Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  
    Regards,

Jerry

Wow! That one is in new condition Jerry, it looks really good mate. Even the vents look like new, the only sign of use is the paint on the outside of the press stud. Nice pick up mate, great stuff!

It's also great to see a 42 dated one with the press stud

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast