Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats

Article about: Lovely hats! Always wanted to have an example, but never managed to get one yet. Rob

?

Default Re: Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats

Quote by Unionjack View Post
    Thanks, interesting. I see what you mean, but the girls would be unlikely to be able to reduce the height of the sides by quite that amount wouldn't you say? Unless maybe they removed the brim, cut the crown down and sewed the brim back on?
    These are very mouldable hats, very soft and pliable...I have bashed a lot of slouch hats in my time, when issued unabashed, there is a very high crown, lots of fabric to mould and play with....more than likely these hats were bashed for them by their training staff, and everyone has their own "perfect" method they use, do as long as the shape is right there is a lot of variation....my first slouchy was bashed by my section commander...over the years you pick up your own style, or you find a mate who can do it, or use the stsndard bash block.....using a bash block gives you a higher crown, and quite frankly looks stupid!!! So once it's go the basic shape, you normally spend the next few weeks mouling it yourself till it looks right!!!!

?

Seriously, if you got ten slouchys, all the same size and lined them up, you will have ten different bashes....they will all have the same regulation forming of the crown, but it will be done 10 different ways, all with different heights and widths!!!!
    And an Akubra will bash differently to say a mountcastle manufactured hat....

I believe these repros are Akubras....that's why they are expensive...your buying an Akubra!!!! Most diggers nowadays get their Army issue slouch hat, an if you don't get an Akubra, most will ditch th issue hat and spend the money and get an Akubra....much much better quality and they last!!!

I picked up this great slouchie at the military fair on sunday, it is a real beauty! I'm getting the blokes service history together to go with it, the lady that had the slouchie actually got it from the old boy that wore it throughout WW11 and Korea. I'm really pleased with it, I hope you gents like it too! Cheers, Dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats   Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

It's a great hat Dave, if you didn't pick it up I was certainly going to consider it for myself. Such a bonus to find out its history as well. You did really well mate.

Cheers Jase!

Good score Dave - Indeed, very nice to have the history
    of the guy who wore it.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I picked up this great slouchie at the military fair on sunday, it is a real beauty! I'm getting the blokes service history together to go with it, the lady that had the slouchie actually got it from the old boy that wore it throughout WW11 and Korea. I'm really pleased with it, I hope you gents like it too! Cheers, Dave.
    Nice one Dave, is it dated?

Unfortunately not Rene, it has no liner or chinstrap. I've got to ring the lady that I got it from next week, she is here in Perth and reckons that she will be able to get me lots of info on the original owner, from what she has told me about him, he was quite an interesting man.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Unfortunately not Rene, it has no liner or chinstrap. I've got to ring the lady that I got it from next week, she is here in Perth and reckons that she will be able to get me lots of info on the original owner, from what she has told me about him, he was quite an interesting man.
    Still a nice slouchy it is a pre 44 going by the brown air vents

Here's my other 2 slouchys I believe are 50's?

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast