Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats

Article about: Lovely hats! Always wanted to have an example, but never managed to get one yet. Rob

Default Re: Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats

I'm drooling with envy all over the floor Luke
    Very very nice mate, thanks for posting it. She's a real ripper.
    I may be a tad bias on this one but

Cheers mate

Another nice one Luke.
    Impressive collection you have there cobber. Well done hey.

I just fell over!!!! Bloody Lovely

AIF
    ?

Thanks guys!! I don't blame you Dave the 2/12th is a favourite of mine and they were the only Tassie Infantry battalion in the whole of the AIF... Even though half of the unit were Queenslanders!

Ok one more... Here is another favourite of mine, It may not be much to look at and she is a bit rough... but It is a real New Guinea veteran. It was worn by a member of the Melbourne 29/46th militia battalion who wore it during his time in New Guinea, he fought at at Milne bay, Lae, the Huon Peninsula campaign and also New Britain. So It has definitely seen some action

Although the liner and pug are gone because It has been stripped for wear in the Islands It would be a 1941 dated hat still having the gimped edge and high crown of an early hat but with a press stud on the side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats   Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats   Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

What can I say? other than OUTSTANDING

I certainly appreciate it's history Luke. We tend to forget the early contributions of the Militia Battalions in the SW Pacific. Both good and bad.
    The 2/40th, 8th Divi were also a Tassie raised Battalion. They were taken in Dutch Timor Feb 42 and spent the rest of the war in Japanese hell holes to their miss fortune. A large number were lost in transit to Japan late in the war as a result of a USN torpedo attack on the Japanese transports carrying them. A few survivors of the sinking saw the Hiroshima blast first hand in Aug 45. God bless them.

Keep posting Luke, love your kit mate.

AIF
    ?

Thanks Rene!!

Here is a 1952 dated Korean war slouch hat apart from some of the stitching on the liner coming undone It is in stone cold mint condition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats   Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

AIF
    ?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    I certainly appreciate it's history Luke. We tend to forget the early contributions of the Militia Battalions in the SW Pacific. Both good and bad.
    The 2/40th, 8th Divi were also a Tassie raised Battalion. They were taken in Dutch Timor Feb 42 and spent the rest of the war in Japanese hell holes to their miss fortune. A large number were lost in transit to Japan late in the war as a result of a USN torpedo attack on the Japanese transports carrying them. A few survivors of the sinking saw the Hiroshima blast first hand in Aug 45. God bless them.

Keep posting Luke, love your kit mate.
    I must be getting old I completely forgot about the 2/40th!! lol.

AIF
    ?

How about something a bit more modern? While i generally stick to WW2 gear I do collect a bit of modern stuff as well...

I thought you guys might like to see a modern slouch hat... This one was owned and worn by a member of the 2/14th Lighthorse (Queensland mounted Infantry) while serving in Iraq on Overwatch Battle group (West) 4. He is a friend of a friend and I ended up with all his gear when he returned home. This was his number 2 hat so It was never worn with the brim turned up.

Aussie WW2 Slouch Hats  

The 8th Division and it's units were some what forgotten. The last 2rd A.I.F. Division to be trained, equipped and deployed and spent early against the Japanese in both Malaya and small outposts through out the East Indies (Timor, Ambon, Rabaul etc.).
    The 2/40th was to be the only fully raised Tasmanian battalion in the 2rd A.I.F. A sad loss to the unrealistic strategy at the time.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast