Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Australian/New Zealand MP Cap Badges

Article about: First Australia. During WW1 and WW2, MPs were identified by the white belt and by the wear of an armband. Not until 1948 did they have a specific cap badge. It showed crossed swords within a

?

Default Australian/New Zealand MP Cap Badges

First Australia. During WW1 and WW2, MPs were identified by the white belt and by the wear of an armband. Not until 1948 did they have a specific cap badge. It showed crossed swords within a wreath topped by the crown.
    Attached Images Attached Images Australian/New Zealand MP Cap Badges 

?

Default Re: Australian/New Zealand MP Cap Badges

Change of Crown with the New Monarch, then a change of material from brass to the muich hated "Staybrite"
    Attached Images Attached Images Australian/New Zealand MP Cap Badges  Australian/New Zealand MP Cap Badges 

?

New Zealand has a much longer tradition. In 1915 a special cap badge for Military POlice was introduced. As it did not have a Royal Cypher it was not changed with the death of George V and the accession of George VI to the throne, and remained unaltered until 1953.

However, when serving during WW1 and WW2 it appears that NZ Military Police, like their Australian counterparts were primarily identified by white belts and armbands, though NZ MPs also wore a blue pugaree on their hats. These badges were apparently only worn on the "home front" which might explain their relative rarity.

?

One interesting point about NZ Military Police shoulder titles. Two forms exist, curved and straight. The reason is simple. Supplies of the straight version ran low so they took the curved titles of the New Zealand Mounted Rifles NZMR and cut the leg off the "R".
    Attached Images Attached Images Australian/New Zealand MP Cap Badges  Australian/New Zealand MP Cap Badges 

?

With the accession of Queen Elizxabeth II, a new badges was introduced, based on the British design for the redesignated Royal NZ Provost. First in Brass, then in Staybrite.

?

More recently, a new design was introduced based on the original 1915 design but within a wreath and in silvered finish with blue painted background, and the designation changed once again, to Royal New Zealand Military Police.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I have no pleasent memories of these personnel, in my day they were referred to as spits or dogs. For those ex-serving Military Police viewing , kindest regards.

Grant Reimers.

?

My dad was a "provost" in the 1970's, nasho.....he was in Signals till they realized he had relatives in East Germany and transfered him to the Provost.....still has his blancoed puttes and belt.....the RACMP badge is now issued in metal again.....

I should apologise to MP / SP and Provo , I still carry a grudge - sorrys guys