Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian Slouch Hat help

Article about: I know very little about Australian Slouch hats and I would like some help as to the era ( WW1, Ww2, Post Ww2, etc?). It also appears that the sweat band was cut out. Any information about t

?

Default Australian Slouch Hat help

I know very little about Australian Slouch hats and I would like some help as to the era ( WW1, Ww2, Post Ww2, etc?). It also appears that the sweat band was cut out. Any information about this Hat, authenticity etc would be greatly appreciated.

Australian Slouch Hat helpAustralian Slouch Hat helpAustralian Slouch Hat helpAustralian Slouch Hat helpAustralian Slouch Hat helpAustralian Slouch Hat helpAustralian Slouch Hat helpAustralian Slouch Hat helpAustralian Slouch Hat helpAustralian Slouch Hat help

Despite where I come from I'm not an authority on 'slouchies' but I DO know that removing the sweat band was a common occurrence in the field. The humidity would make the leather shrink and stink and it was much more comfortable for the felt to soak up the sweat..... Aussies don't abide by rules and regs!!!!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Don't know too much on Aussie slouches, but I'd say WWII period. Not sure if they used these type of slouches in WWI. Nice looking slouch.

yes if i was to come across this hat i would say ww2 era. the 1950s hat also had the press stud but i think most of them were not raw edge. and the 1950s slouch hats i have seem to be lighter in color this may just be the maker.
    some times the puggaree might have a date and arrow stamp. and size.
    also the the 50s ere hat had green vent holes. but still this is just what i have been told. after the press stud the slouch hat got a hook clip right up to present day. but i was told the ww1 era hat also had the hook clip as well. not shore when the press stud came about. there is some guys on this forum that i hope will help you more. and may enlighten us some more. Australian kit can be tricky as Dan said the men done what they wanted to there stuff. or picked up anything that worked for them.

The red brown vent grommets are typical of war time slouch hats, and the lack of an edge trim should date it to late 41 to 45.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

the modern slouch hat has brown vent hole as well but are not raw edge.

there was a thread started on the forum i think it was called show us your slouch hat or something like that.

Quote by geelong View Post
    the modern slouch hat has brown vent hole as well but are not raw edge.
    I thought post war they changed them to green?
    Regards,

Jerry

three post wwii aussie slouch hats from a quick search of ebay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Slouch Hat help   Australian Slouch Hat help  

Australian Slouch Hat help   Australian Slouch Hat help  

Regards,

Jerry

the three in the middle are 50s with green vent holes the one on the left 1943 brown vent holes.
    the two on there own, on the left 1997. brown vent holes. the one on the right 2015 green vent holes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Slouch Hat help   Australian Slouch Hat help  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast