Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Beret for ID

Article about: Hi All, I picked up this beret last week at the cbs with a 1942 Battledress serge. I am interested to know what era it may be ? I read that ww2 berets should have air vents and leather sweat

Default Beret for ID

Hi All,
    I picked up this beret last week at the cbs with a 1942 Battledress serge.
    I am interested to know what era it may be ?
    I read that ww2 berets should have air vents and leather sweatband so I guess its not from then.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Beret for ID   Beret for ID  

Beret for ID  

looks like Royal Marine Commando post war.

Harry is correct.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    looks like Royal Marine Commando post war.
    Quite right and as it has the "silk" fabric headband rather than leather this would be a long time "post war". This type was issued during the '70s / '80s up until the gradual (they wasted out the stocks) re-introduction of leather headbands due to most troops buying their own as the issue item was detested (remember the Victor of Aldershot berets?). Also I don't recall seeing an issue RM brass cap badge with a "slider". Surely it should be lugs and split pin? In any case I would be happier with a staybright badge in this type of beret. The only type of "brass" badge I have seen in a typical "Green lid" has been blackened bronze officers pattern. The beret itself seems genuine but in poor condition, I hope the beret does not reflect badly on the battledress. Have you posted it?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for the answers,I new it was Commando but I should of been slightly more specific. I can find a lot of information about ww2 berets but finding out anything postwar berets is not so easy.
    I shall post a pic of the badge separately.

The Battledress blouse is here with a commando badge Wearwell overall company limited. I was not sure how much of a put together it all was. It was not big money,£40 for the Blouse and beret included.The Commando Badge on the Uniform looks to be late 60's as well.
    Last edited by Roger M; 03-14-2015 at 08:17 PM.