Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

? British arctic knitted cap

Article about: Good morning gents, I picked this up with a few other items that I bought just to get one of them (as we collectors are wont to do!). If I divide the total price paid by the number of items

Default ? British arctic knitted cap

Good morning gents,

I picked this up with a few other items that I bought just to get one of them (as we collectors are wont to do!). If I divide the total price paid by the number of items I could say this cost me about £5.

I don't collect this stuff so I thought I might get some useful opinion off members here who do.

This is definately British and comes from my own period of service (1975 -1999) I am sure but I just can't place it. I think it is probably one of those items that were in the inventory and was just not popular. It would have been issued for cold weather deployments (Norway etc) and not part of the standard issue of kit that everybody held from day one. You can see the Nato Stock Number (NSN) on the lable but apart from the word "Cap" the actual nomenclature is obscured by the stitching. I imagine it would be something like "Cap knitted cold weather" or "Cap comforter" etc.

I did do some time in the cold stuff and had special issue kit but I just don't recall this item. Any ideas from the floor?

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ? British arctic knitted cap   ? British arctic knitted cap  

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Whatever it is, that contract number dates it to around 1974.