MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

British General Service Cap

Article about: Hi all This is my latest find.. a British WW II General service cap maker marked A. & J. Gelfer Glasgow and dated 1944 with the broad arrow... my Question would be.....it has two stiches

Default British General Service Cap

Hi all
    This is my latest find.. a British WW II General service cap maker marked A. & J. Gelfer Glasgow and dated 1944 with the broad arrow...
    my Question would be.....it has two stiches in the front where the cap badge would have been.. would it be possible to work out what badge would have been on it from this!!???? this is one for the experts out there!!???
    PS
    Sorry about "ceasar" his was the only head size small enough to display it for the pics!!!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British General Service Cap   British General Service Cap  

British General Service Cap   British General Service Cap  

Nice find.

The two stitches are a placement guide to help position the badge correctly. If there are no holes from sewing, lugs or a slider it is likely it never had a badge on it and was probably never issued.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the info Jerry!!!
    It may be unissued...but it certainly has been worn.. as it has sweat,staining and dirt marks both inside and out..it came from a vet that served in the civil defence after the war....

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Nice find.

The two stitches are a placement guide to help position the badge correctly. If there are no holes from sewing, lugs or a slider it is likely it never had a badge on it and was probably never issued.
    I agree without doubt. The stitch indication was needed to prevent 'Tom' from making his own idiosyncratic decision about cap badge position. Can't have that kind of independant free thinking, it's not well, uniform

Seriously, there is no wear at all where the badge would be and no sign of a life atop someones bonce so as Jerry says this is a minter. Nice find, now you choose the badge

Mark

?

lol planet of the apes

Hi all,
    I are agree, I think it serve to indicate the position of badge on all caps that are not yet been distributed.
    I have an mint "A.&J. Gelfer" cap again with the same stitching.

Two British General Service Cap

Cheers
    Roberto

?

Very nice hat. I only have one of these which is a 1945 dated example. I cannot see if it has the thread mentioned as a patch has been sewn over the top but it does show a pin and loop attachment where a previous badge was attached prior to the patch, at about 1 o'clock.

Does anyone know if the top was lined with oilskin or celluloid as mine has a slight russling noise when I move the top section. Is that normal?

Oli

NCA
    ?

Yes some sort of waterproofing was inside the liner...stops all that Jollop/Pomade/Brylcreme seeping through!