Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

British side cap id?

Article about: An impulse buy from Ebay, very cheap but I don't know which service it would be for. It has Kings crown general service buttons which should mean it is pre 1953 and has signs of it having ha

Default Re: British side cap id?

I think I have finally ID'd this cap and it is "probably" for the Royal Hong Kong Regiment, though getting the correct badge might be a problem. The example shown has a Queens crown badge, whilst my cap has Kings crown buttons, though they might have been changed as it is in very good condition, but condition in itself is not always an indicator of a more recent origin.

Here is the KC version of the cap badge
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British side cap id?  
    Attached Images Attached Images British side cap id? 
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Interesting and quite an obscure one. Nice work.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Just a thought, but alternately it might be the Duke of Wellingtons regiment. I have a repro one for an impression I do and it's identical. I have a copy of a wartime publication with colour plates of them all in, I'll see if I can find it out and confirm if this is a possibility. I imagine that there might have been some duplication of colours between UK regiments and colonial ones, the colours were never exactly regulated!

I think there was another thread with a similar cap, but not identical in terms of where the red piping was located and that was suggested as being the Wellies, though I would have to search for it to check. It would be good to see your repro example to compare the construction and lining etc...

A number of coloured FS caps have not been identified as the records are apparently not complete.
    Regards,

Jerry

Well ummm, I just noticed this identical coloured FS cap for sale, except it has queens crown buttons and badge for the RAOC, which was my first thoughts on it, Doh!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British side cap id?   British side cap id?  

Regards,

Jerry

?

Hi,

Judging from the lining I would say that this is an ORs cap. Also Officer's and Warrant Officers cap of the RAOC had the piping style as follows, red on body and gilded on the curtain, as can be seen on this postwar example (incidently the wartime example is of a similar style).

Post War RAOC Officers Field Service Cap Item No 3044

General list buttons were assigned to many regiments, I have one on a Worceter Regiment coloured FS cap. I would say the RAOC ORs cap is a safe bet.

Maybe I have misread, but are there any ink stamps in the lining?

Oli

Hi Oli,

no markings at all, not even the size. As I posted RAOC was my first thoughts and I am happy to go with that as that fits better with my collecting interests than the Royal Hong Kong Regiment, even if that was kinda cool and unusual.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

I would have thought that caps from the Royal Hong Kong Regiment would mostly have been "theatre" made, as I marking would have helped. Despite the mystery its a great looking cap Jerry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2