Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Camerons Glengarry Cap Badge ID help

Article about: Wondered if anyone can identify this Glengarry cap badge. It's a Cameron cross surrounded by thistle but no regimention identification. I think its Canadian. Thank you. KD

?

Default Camerons Glengarry Cap Badge ID help

Wondered if anyone can identify this Glengarry cap badge. It's a Cameron cross surrounded by thistle but no regimental identification. I think its Canadian. Thank you. KD
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camerons Glengarry Cap Badge ID help  

CBH
    ?

It looks like a civilian Scottish St. Andrew's Cross badge , is there any makers marks on the back ?

?

HI Chris
    I don't have the cap in hand. It was listed for sale a while ago and I missed it but it was described as potentially belonging to a band member. A really nice look to it with the badge well worn and original to the cap. KD

CBH
    ?

I'd be more inclined to think it was a civilian pipe band then it having a military connection .
    The Glenn itself could be of military origin , but not the badge . But someone else might know more .
    Good Luck

?

Sometimes Band badges are differant then the Regt Badges when dealing with Highland or Scottish Regts, I have seen this in Canada Many times.

Dean O

CBH
    ?

I would be hard to know either way for sure , even if the Glenn was marked to a unit .

Well, the pipe band connection is I feel more relevant than one might imagine.

Whilst as stated above the cap badge worn by pipers is often different to that worn by other members of a regiment it is in most cases based on the regimental design but with elements added.

I also think that the suggestion that this is civilian is a good one but I don't believe it is a cap badge at all.
    I think it is a plaid brooch worn at the shoulder securing the plaid worn by a piper. For those unfamiliar with Highland dress, the plaid is the long sash like item of the same tartan as the kilt worn over the shoulder from left to right (in fact to be pedantic, the piece of cloth is called the plaid whilst tartan refers to the actual pattern itself). The design of this badge is typical of non-military plaid brooches whilst military items tend to be a bit larger and more ornate because they are pretty much "ceremonial" rather than what might routinely be called dress.

The picture attached is of a pipe major of the Royal Highland Fusiliers (Princes Margarets Own Glasgow and Aryshire Regiment which is nowadays 2nd Bn The Royal Regiment of Scotland (RHF).

I hope this helps.

Regards

Camerons Glengarry Cap Badge ID help

Mark

PS The figure holding the cross is actually St Andrew the patron saint of Scotland so this in fact isa St Andrews' Cross. It was worn on the cap badge of the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders but as such it is a fairly generic Scottish symbol and has been used in the insignia of other units too.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-26-2016 at 09:34 PM. Reason: add info
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I remember seeing this and another unusual Glengarry for sale, on the waf I think, one had an upright feather, perhaps it was this one, certainly piper, though not sure if military or civvy.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Actually, it is not one of the two that were for sale on the WAF, I'll get my coat.

Here is the pipers/band example I mentioned
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camerons Glengarry Cap Badge ID help  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Funny I was thinking it might be a plaid Badge also, would be nice to see the back of the badge.

Dean