Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian Caps and Cap Badges RCAF Help PLEASE

Article about: Hi All, Can anyone suggest a site or book etc that illustrates cap badges of the RCAF from WWII to date please. I have tried Canadian Dress Regs which has an abundance of information coverin

Default Canadian Caps and Cap Badges RCAF Help PLEASE

Hi All, Can anyone suggest a site or book etc that illustrates cap badges of the RCAF from WWII to date please. I have tried Canadian Dress Regs which has an abundance of information covering everything from ranks to how to lace your boots but not cap badges. I have also spent several hours trying a variety of sites including manufacturers and dealers etc but found nothing.
    Any assistance would be gratefully received.

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael R

CBH
    ?

I can't really help , but I can say the modern RCAF has gone through many uniform changes . From the disastrous "Canadian Armed Forces" amalgamation , which brought Ugly dark green uniforms to all branches of the services, in a cost cutting measure . This has been fixed thankfully , I have a couple hats kicking around somewhere and if I can dig them out I'll add to your thread . I've been having camera issues as of late so photos might not be the best .

Hi Chris, Thank you for taking the time out to post your reply. Yes, I know what you mean about the combined Canadian Armed Forces uniforms. It must have done immesurable damage to the moral of the RCAF personel. It was considered by our MOD but dropped, probably following consultation with your people. Trying to find RCAF cap badges is a nightmare. Please do show your caps regardless of the quality of the photos. The more the better.
    Thank you once again Chris.
    Regards Michael

CBH
    ?

Yes I do think it hurt moral , and it was done in the late 70's when we didn't value the military like we should have . I'll see what I can find , I have a couple of wedge caps from WWII and the 50's also .

?

There was a fellow I knew with the last name of Carral or Carrel or Carrle, it was about Canadian Wings, I think the first name was Warren, I am sorry I can not be better at this help, however it has been avery long time and he has long since past...anyway he put out a book on Canadian Wings..and up to that time it was the best book around

Again, the stuff form the late 40s to today, well thats all over the place, we can out with many "wings" in the late 40s and 50s, that were use for a very short time or were made and never really used, but they are around.

Then someone with high rank and no concept thought to make 1/2 wings for everyone in the Canadian Airforce that had a Job, so you will see half wings with every Military "device" on it that has NOTHING to do with AirCrew.

I help out with a couple of museums, and they still cannot keep up with everything.

If you have photos of badges you would like ID'd, I May be able to help.

Take Care

Dean

And MERYY CHristmas and a Better New Year.

Sorry for the spelling, just got back from Gettysburg..long hard drive
    Job"

Hi Camp X, Happy New Year 2017!! Many thanks for your input to this thread and for the information. Certainly, from my point of view, I agree with you, that the Canadian Armed Forces in general and the RCAF in particular has gone through a mulitude of insignia changes and variations hence my total confusion as to who wears what on the headdress and who wore what and when in the past. I have a number of RCAF caps all procured minus insignia and have little idea of what to put on which caps and for what dates? A minefield!! If I may, I will take you up on your offer and post some RCAF cap badges and if you can identify them and or date them I would be most grateful. Gettysburg, if I ever win on the lottery, one of my first actions would be a long visit to the US in order to visit some of the battlefields of the Civil War and the Plains Wars with a US historian!! The only one that I have actually managed to visit so far is Manasssas.

Thank you once again.

Cheers Michael

Hi Again X, Herewith, two photos of RCAF? cap badges. Can you identify the rank groups and periods please? The first item is, I believe, a General Officer's cap badge? If so what colour cap would it have been worn with? The second is, I believe, a RCAF cap badge but is it or was it worn by RCAF Air Officers and when? Do you know when standard RCAF officer badges which mirrored those of the RAF were superseded and whether they have been re introduced? Thank you once again for your assistance.
    Regards Michael

Canadian Caps and Cap Badges RCAF  Help PLEASE

Canadian Caps and Cap Badges RCAF  Help PLEASE

PS, Sorry about the orientation of the top badge!!
    MR

As Dean mentions above, the book 'Eagles Recalled'
    about RCAF wings was written by Warren Carroll.
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve, Thank you for the reference and your input. I will check out the book on E Bay etc but I am not a collector of aviation wings so would only purchase this reference book if it has a section on RCAF headdress insignia? My need is to find the succession of insignia from the wearing of cap badges of RAF orientation up to the present day. And additionally, the rank variations for the headdress insignia. In any event, I greatly appreciate anyone taking the time out to pass on advice to me.
    With thanks, regards and best wishes
    Michael R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast