Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian Rcaf visor cap

Article about: I need some help here ,those 2 pics were sent to me today and there is one who making me scratch my head a bit .this is the first one ,could it be from another country as the badge have a li

Default Canadian Rcaf visor cap

I need some help here ,those 2 pics were sent to me today and there is one who making me scratch my head a bit .this is the first one ,could it be from another country as the badge have a lion and i do not recall seeing a lion on our RCAF items (could be wrong ?) . i find it too new to my liking too . Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance !
    Frenchy

Default Re: Canadian Rcaf visor cap

Any input on them ? as i will have to call the seller tonight and discuss the price ect
    Thanks in advance
    Frenchy

The only comment I could give is that the second one could be a post war cap.
    But do wait for better opinions.
    cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

There nice !

?

Hi Frenchy,

The first cap ranks to an Air Vice Marshall, look at the link:

WWII RAF Battle Dress Uniform to Air Vice-Marshal AVM Norman Stuart Allinson, CB

However as these are very rare I doubt this is original. Just to give you an idea of this, a WW2 Air Commodore's peak cap sold last week on ebay for around 350 GBP.

Also the badge look like a repro to me, I am 99% sure of it, you can tell if you compare the shapes and the crowns to the link abve.... also the chinstrap looks vinyl.

2nd cap looks good though, I would say it is a mid 1950s/60s cap from the badge wear and crown roundness, its Elizabeth II crown making the cap post 1952. However the cap body look ww2 vintage, note the lack of piping around the sewn edges.

Perhaps the cap was a WW2 vet who saw service post 1952, which would explain the changed badge.

Again inside photos and more detail can help more to date these caps and see if they are real or repro.

British / CW caps are really hard to date exactly, unless it has Provence the closest you can safely dating it ... is pre 1952.... and rhat is down to the KC and QC on the badges. Although other factors affect this too.

Oli

?

This link shows what I mean about the top detail (your 2nd photo). On photo you can clearly see the white thread. 2nd cap shows it best.

Royal Air Force - The OCAD Collection: online museum.

I agree - 2nd ( post-war ) cap looks ok, but the AM's cap seems to have
    an India-made repro badge. It's possible the chinstrap on it was
    originally attached to the post-war hat..............

Anyway, being played with they are not worth too much, IMO.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Yep, I wouldn't waste my time with the first cap!

The second is a nice cap personally I'd only give £40 for it, there are lots around and QCs are not as special as KC....hence I suppose the repros......

Thanks gentlemen ! i appreciated the info and will work with that . i will let go both as i wanted a ww2 RCAF visor cap
    Thanks
    Frenchy

Hi, I have a number of RAF, RAAF and RCAF Air Rank caps and none of them look like the one in photo 1. I agree with most of the previous responses in that the badge is spurious and further, I would suggest the the visor embelishment has been applied but I could be wrong, Check the underside of the visor to see if there is any evidence of the embroidery under the green lining materiel. also check the actual embroidery to see if there is any evidence of glue as it looks unb alanced to me. The chin strap is of current OR Pattern in plastic rather than Officer pattern in leather and the buttons appear to be plastic rather than cloth covered as used on pre 53 headdress of all ranks. Buyer beware!! I hope this is of help to you. Regards Michael R