Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Coloured field service caps

Article about: I thought about going there, but 'chickened out' (sorry) You are more brave than I Actually Battery Command Post seems very prosaic about it; he will wring its neck if the 'bill' (sorry agai

Default Coloured field service caps

Hi guys. I have been collecting British Militeria for a few years now and I have bought any coloured fs caps I could find and afford. I have a fair collection now and its amazing how many different ones there were. However, some I have been unable to identify, I even have a few of the same types, so they cant be rare and still not been able to identify them properly. If any of you guys could help, it would be great.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Coloured field service caps   Coloured field service caps  

Coloured field service caps   Coloured field service caps  

Default Re: Coloured field service caps

Sadly I can't help you, but they do look really good
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice collection.

I will have to come back to this, but the first two are :

1) Leicestershire Regt
    2) Recce Corps

I will try to ID the other later. I have to take a sick bird to the vet

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 03-28-2012 at 11:24 PM.

I know that the dark blue with the red piping belonged to the Royal Berkshire regiment.....sorry,can't help you on the others..These service caps came in a Huge variety of colors-depending on the infantry,cavalry or yeoman regiments.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

OK back

$300 later and we won't know if the bird's ok or not until the bloodwork comes back. If it has a tumour, I'll wring it's neck...

Anyway, here are my IDs (with any uncertainties in brackets):

1) Leicestershire Regt (Colours are right, but my reference doesn't show any yellow piping)
    2) Reconaissance Corps or Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry (SRY are supposed to have yellow crown piping though)
    3) Not sure about this one. I have the exact same cap.
    4) Royal Army Pay Corps
    5) Royal Engineers
    6) Royal Army Service Corps (No doubt about this one, I have the same badged cap)
    7) Not sure about this one
    8) Duke of Wellington's Regt (Berkshire not listed as having red peak piping, only Dukes do)

Most of these IDs are somewhat tentative, as these caps vary with period/battalion etc

Rob

Sorry, Rob,don't mean to argue-but everything I'm seeing has always said the Berk's had dark blue/black with red piping.

Field Service Cap colours for Royal Berkshire Regt., according to Brian Davis's British Uniforms book are:

Crown: Dark Blue.
    Crown Piping: Red.
    Body: Dark Blue.
    Peak: Dark Blue.
    Peak Piping: --
    Curtain: Dark Blue.
    Curtain Piping: --.

Dark Blue then, with Red piping on the Crown.

Here's another photo to show what I'm talking about: Cap - The Collection - The Wardrobe
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Sorry, Rob,don't mean to argue-but everything I'm seeing has always said the Berk's had dark blue/black with red piping.

Field Service Cap colours for Royal Berkshire Regt., according to Brian Davis's British Uniforms book are:

Crown: Dark Blue.
    Crown Piping: Red.
    Body: Dark Blue.
    Peak: Dark Blue.
    Peak Piping: --
    Curtain: Dark Blue.
    Curtain Piping: --.

Dark Blue then, with Red piping on the Crown.

Here's another photo to show what I'm talking about: Cap - The Collection - The Wardrobe
    Many infantry regiments had a dark blue cap with red piping. However, the cap you linked to, and the quote from Davis' book both confirm the Berkshire Regt's cap had no peak piping, whereas the cap in helldunkle's photo does. So by the two pieces of evidence you have shown, it can't be Berkshire Regt. Furthermore, the Davis description says no curtain piping, whereas the cap you linked to has curtain piping.

The reference I have shows the Duke's as having a blue cap with red piping on everything, which matches helldunkle's cap exactly. Brian Davis' list is not perfect, as he himself admits it comes from an unofficial work, with modifications by himself. I am using this and some unpublished research work by Margaret E Nobbs.

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 03-29-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Hi Guys thanks for taking the time to do a bit of research on these caps. You have resolved some of the id problems I had.
    Here is what I thought the caps were:
    1: possible Leicester Rgt with yellow piping anomaly. I have 3 of these caps all the same
    1: unknown but would love to know. I have 3 of these, one with bullion piping. They are similar to Canadian para corps, but not the same.
    3: unknown but possible interwar accountants corps.
    4: Hampshire regt
    5: Warwickshire regt
    6: East Lancs Regt
    7: unknown
    8: unknown. I have 2 more of these caps with identical red piping. One came with a ww1 era ordnance corps badge attached and the other with no badge and George 5th buttons. Perhaps this colour cap and piping was more generic. The Dukes used this colour cap much later than the date of the example I posted. All the caps shown have kings crown g/s buttons.

Thanks again guys. Maybe we should start an id sub froum for these caps.

?

Not familiar with Brit caps at all, but what a colour display. Thanks for for sharing the splash of colour.

Battery Command Post; hope your bird will be okay.

?

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    OK back

$300 later and we won't know if the bird's ok or not until the bloodwork comes back. If it has a tumour, I'll wring it's neck...

Anyway, here are my IDs (with any uncertainties in brackets):

1) Leicestershire Regt (Colours are right, but my reference doesn't show any yellow piping)
    2) Reconaissance Corps or Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry (SRY are supposed to have yellow crown piping though)
    3) Not sure about this one. I have the exact same cap.
    4) Royal Army Pay Corps
    5) Royal Engineers
    6) Royal Army Service Corps (No doubt about this one, I have the same badged cap)
    7) Not sure about this one
    8) Duke of Wellington's Regt (Berkshire not listed as having red peak piping, only Dukes do)

Most of these IDs are somewhat tentative, as these caps vary with period/battalion etc

Rob
    I have heard, not officially mind you, that "chokin your chicken" to much will make you go blind.
    Little pets become your buddy and you will spend as much money on them as you would yourself. I hope the bird gets well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast