Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

D-Day Veteran's Overseas Cap

Article about: Cheers everyone, I thought you may enjoy seeing a recent acquisition of mine. This overseas Cap belonged to Lt Col William C. Mahoney, a silver star recipient who was wounded on D-Day. Mahon

Default D-Day Veteran's Overseas Cap

Cheers everyone,

I thought you may enjoy seeing a recent acquisition of mine. This overseas Cap belonged to Lt Col William C. Mahoney, a silver star recipient who was wounded on D-Day. Mahoney was serving with the 49th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Brigade on June 6th, 1944, when he was seriously wounded while clearing a group of half tracks from an LST. I have included an image of the whole grouping, which was eventually broken up, the hat eventually coming to me. I am super excited to own this piece of history that belonged to an individual who took part in one of the decisive battles of World War Two
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D-Day Veteran's Overseas Cap   D-Day Veteran's Overseas Cap  

D-Day Veteran's Overseas Cap  
    Attached Images Attached Images D-Day Veteran's Overseas Cap 

MAP
    ?

Fantastic item! Congrats! It's a shame the items were broken up but that's what people do. Money before history.

But great that you got this documented item!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the input. It was really surprising to find a piece like this on eBay, and for a great price.

MAP
    ?

Ebay is good for US and Japanese militaria. But you still need to know your stuff.

Here is a nice ebay listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WW2-9th-....c100651.m4497

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That is a nice listing...the Ike jacket is nice too.

MAP
    ?

Quote by warbuff View Post
    That is a nice listing...the Ike jacket is nice too.
    Oh...was there an Ike jacket for sale? Didn't notice that. LoL

Is there any way of tracking down a photograph of Mahoney? I have looked all over google for a picture of him to display with the cap, however I have not had any luck.

Unfortunately thats what heppens sometimes..... everything in all of our collections belonged to SOMEONE at some point. I say we are lucky to have what we get. If it weren't for veterans giving up their possessions we wouldn't have a hobby in the first place. Very cool hat by the way. I think we would all be honored to own such a piece!