Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia

Article about: Gday all, Found this online in the UK last night.It's identical to the example I posted a few days back. Sorry the image is small but it was all I could obtain. A link to the trader Bulldog

Default ''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia

Gday all,
    I was hoping someone could possibly help me out with an indication of the years of manufacture of this style of British "economy" sidecap.It was purchased out of the UK and as it has Australian collar insignia (A common practice with Australian sidecaps I believe) it poses a question of authenticity in my mind as the only large Australian AIF formations in the UK during the WW2 period were 18 Brigade and later 25 Brigade.Both brigades left for North Africa in late 1940,early 1941. I would think an economy cap would be a later war standard but could be way off the mark.
    I guess my question is....was this style of economy sidecap made during 1940 or is it a later war issue?

''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.
    All the best
    Dave

Default Re: ''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia

I don't have an example of this type, those I have are early war dated and of British manufacture and marked as such. I have to admit to having never seen a British made example of this simplified form with buttons of this type.

One thing I can say is that the FS cap was phased out in favour of the Cap GS from September 1943 onward.

If it is of British manufacture, I could in theory see no problem with a British FS cap being issued to Aussie troops in theater and that could have happened later than the date you suggest, but I cannot give you any certainty on this.

Could it have been manufactured by another Commonwealth nation as I think it is a New Zealand made version?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Not sure Jerry,I am only assuming UK manufacture.
    The Australian army were not big wearers of sidecaps so I based my assumption on maybe being issued to the troops of the two AIF Brigades that were in the UK in 1940 as it came from there.Only a guess but.
    I'll have a look at the NZ concept and other Commonwealth options.
    Thanks for your help mate.
    All the best
    Dave

Hi Dave,

The only FS cap I could find with this type of lining is a NZ made example and it does not match any UK made versions I have seen or could find, so I am fairly certain it is a Kiwi made version, though that does not answer if it was worn by an Aussie and is period badged.

Here is NZ made example for reference.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia   ''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia  

Regards,

Jerry

Kiwi it is for sure Jerry, thanks for the comparison mate.
    The insignia is good no question but the combination of the two is a tad interesting I must say.
    It could well be a made up item and gives me something to research over the Easter break at least.
    Thanks again for your help Jerry, good on ya.
    Dave

Hi Dave,

From looking at the interior picture, the badge does not look as if it has been there for 70 years, as I would expect some staining and/or it to have left an impression in the lining, so sadly I would have to suggest that it might well have been put together more recently, though obviously I hope I am incorrect in this.
    Regards,

Jerry

I feel you may be right on that Jerry.
    The retaining pin actually doesn't touch the liner as it sits 2-3mm above the fabric and the badges obverse is bent away from the cap but the badges lugs are rub polished on a hardly worn cap. This insignia is really a tunic collar Rising Sun which explains the lugs polished appearance as it rubbed on the tunic under the collar.In saying that I have seen period images of collar insignia on Australian side caps as the hat badge was a tad large.
    I feel I will be most likely disappointed in the end though.
    Worst case is I have a New Zealand made side cap and another collar badge to go with the dozen odd sets I already have in my collection.
    All is not lost.
    Cheers mate and thanks again.
    Dave

4md
    ?

Nice side cap Dave,a good example for sure. . If the badge and cap dont go together theyre still original. I like these Aussie sidecaps as you dont see too many of them

heres my early u.k version(i posted earlier on) dated 2, 41 sporting the hat badge and a lot of staining and wear, for comparison.the guy i got it from said the veteran was in the U.K. during the war,the date suggests the soldier was in England early 1941 or the side cap was issued in the desert later on.

Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia   ''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia  

''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia   ''Economy" British sidecap with Australian insignia  

Gday Paul
    Good one mate, that's what I first assumed this one could be as It came out of the UK and I thought it may have had a chance at being 18 or 25 Brigade UK issue (1940-early 41).
    Thanks for posting it she's a ripper.
    I've just noticed your Avatar.
    All the best mate
    Dave

I have a Canadian made example with Canadian buttons, but with a British service number written in it, so no problem with the different nations making use of each others versions of the FS cap and very commonly seen with the BD blouses.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast