Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Extreme cold weather cap 1943

Article about: Picked up this weekend, British army winter cap, WD stamped with N for 1943 and size 71/4.

Default Extreme cold weather cap 1943

Picked up this weekend, British army winter cap, WD stamped with N for 1943 and size 71/4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Extreme cold weather cap 1943   Extreme cold weather cap 1943  

Extreme cold weather cap 1943   Extreme cold weather cap 1943  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Extreme cold weather cap 1943

Very nice Jerry!
    It's definately the right time of year to get one of these!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Not something you see very often and is a good addition to my types of British headgear collection. Only ever seen one with a badge which was posted recently by a member here, Douglas so nice to find one. I have the modern British army type, gortex and fleece for winter wear, and very cosy it is too.
    Regards,

Jerry

A beautiful example.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    A beautiful example.
    Thanks Douglas. I just had another look at your example and noticed it does not have the sheepskin on it, presumably more than one version of these were manufactured. Does yours have hooks on the inner lining so you can fold the flaps up inside it?
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, yes it does. In its construction its obviously very like yours, but without the sheepskin flaps, an interesting feature I havnt seen before. These caps are shown in 'The World War Two Tommy' by Brayley and Ingram, Crowood Press. They are shown being worn in re-enactment photos with and without cap badges, by mountain troops and by infantry in winter gear, and described as Ski caps. The examples shown also lack the sheepskin. I like these caps and feel they are often overlooked, so its nice to see someone else showing an interest in them. If anyone has any wartime pictures of them in wear I'm sure we would all like to see them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Extreme cold weather cap 1943   Extreme cold weather cap 1943  

Thanks for the extra pics of your example. The only wartime pic I have found so far is in BL Davies's British Army uniforms and Insignia of WWII.

I thought yours looked really good and I have only ever seen a few for sale, but I was lucky enough to find my example for a very good price on the weekend.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Extreme cold weather cap 1943  
    Regards,

Jerry

Thats great. I have the book but had overlooked this picture, so thanks for that.

P215 in my copy.
    Regards,

Jerry