Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Field Service cap

Article about: Hi Guys, here we have the well known "FS" or "Field Service Cap". Worn by British troops for most of WW2. First introduced in 1937 for wear with Battledress it was design

Default The Field Service cap

Hi Guys, here we have the well known "FS" or "Field Service Cap". Worn by British troops for most of WW2. First introduced in 1937 for wear with Battledress it was designed to replaced the Service Dress cap. The design had it's origins in the Victorian era. It was replaced by the "GS" cap in 1943 but some troops wore it almost throughout the war.

It was often worn at some fantastic angles on the side of the head!

The sides could be pulled down in cold weather.

This example is a good large size and is mint, unissued.

Buttons could be of "General Service" pattern as seen here, or of Regimental pattern. Worn with the cap badge. This example of course has never had a badge on it.

Interestingly, the Germans virtually copied this cap's design for wear in black by the NSKK.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Field Service cap   The Field Service cap  

The Field Service cap   The Field Service cap  

The Field Service cap  

Default Re: The Field Service cap

The RAF also wore this pattern of cap, but in blue.

The example shown is a late war production one, made in Glasgow in 1944, complete with black plastic buttons and plastic cap badge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Field Service cap   The Field Service cap  

The Field Service cap  
    Attached Images Attached Images The Field Service cap 

Hi,

i've found a similar one, but the RAF badge is Bronze.
    Dated 1945 on the inside.
    What do you think about this one?

The Field Service cap  

i have only this example , (post-war) same pattern in Canada here a air cadets 1963

The Field Service cap  

i like those kind of cap and like you said Ade they could wear those on an angle that i do not understand how they manage to keep it in place .
    here is mine from a canadian soldier

Frenchy

The Field Service cap  

Quote by fpicoli View Post
    Hi,

i've found a similar one, but the RAF badge is Bronze.
    Dated 1945 on the inside.
    What do you think about this one?
    It is a good original cap.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Pierre & Frenchy, once again nice original caps.

Cheers, Ade.

Lovely caps gents, thank you for showing them.

I too have seen some period photos with these caps at amazing angles, and have often wondered how they stopped on

Regards,

Spence

?

Here are my examples: KOSB cap from 1940 named to a Sgt Jackson and one for the RAChD with black GS buttons to the front. I can't read the date on that one anymore.

I think any of the amazing angles these were worn at was due to the hair grease which was a popular male grooming fashion of the time. Kind of glued them in place!

Cheers, Ade.

Ade when you mentioned that i went back to check one of the pic i have of a friend 's father with the cap and it looks like it is resting on the ear so it wont go anywhere on that side .

Frenchy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast