Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

French Kepi

Article about: Hello, any info about this kepi would be appreciated. I have just bought it quiet cheaply. How old is it? Which branch of service? Many thanks, Douglas

?

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Thank you, so what was this cap originally? Is it an artillery kepi? If so, could I not restore it by removing the braid and putting the correct badge on the front?
    Given that it's black, although officially dark blue, it's a officer's kepi, and depending upon side buttons, either artillery or engineers.

BobS

Thanks very much for your help Bob, it's really appreciated. I'm still a bit confused though, having spent several hours looking at pictures of Kepis today I have found several examples of gendarmerie Kepis which appear to have a dark blue/black band and crown, and also which have the flaming grenade device on the buttons, as mine does. Further more the gendarmerie style braid does not strike me as a theatrical addition as it is perfectly sewn and continues into the caps back seam which strongly implies it was put on during construction. Therefore I would be inclined to conclude that this is a gendarme cap with the only alterations being the chinstrap and front badge. Am I mistaken?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sf0.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	746521  

The band is not correct for headgear, but for uniforms!
    The design of both is different.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Thanks for the reply. The braiding on my kepi is very similar to the braiding on this Gendarmarie kepi though, would you not agree?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kepi-d-adjudant-de-gendarmerie-modele-1895_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	273.1 KB 
ID:	746522  

EmpireCostume - Galon filé lézarde 22 mm or ou argent, galon militaire de fabrication française.
    Shows that they are mend for uniforms, the headgear galon is different.
    Lets just say it is not regulative.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12