Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Glider Pilot Regiment dress peaked cap?

Article about: Apologies for lack of photos. I just picked up on Ebay a dress cap, purported to be that of a senior officer of the Glider Pilot Regiment. It is dark blue, with a pale blue ( Cambridge Blue?

?

Default Glider Pilot Regiment dress peaked cap?

Apologies for lack of photos. I just picked up on Ebay a dress cap, purported to be that of a senior officer of the Glider Pilot Regiment.
    It is dark blue, with a pale blue ( Cambridge Blue? ) band & piping, with plain domed, hussar style side buttons, and a KIng's Crown GPR badge, all in white metal.
    My uniform references state that this regiment wore a maroon beret, even in dress uniform; was that also for officers?
    I am thinking that this cap, based upon colours, and side buttons, is actually for the Northumberland Hussars. Oh, the peak braiding is gold.
    Any opinions most appreciated.

BobS

Cannot say I have ever heard of a peaked cap for this Regt.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

You are correct in your assumption I believe.

GPR was part of the Airborne Forces and wore the hard won and iconic "Red Beret".

With the exception of the HSAT I doubt these men would be seen dead in anything else!!

Glider Pilot Regiment dress peaked cap?Glider Pilot Regiment dress peaked cap?

These officers in SD are Capt (here as Lt) Bernard HALSALL and Maj Ian TOLER DFC pictured whilst the GPR was still in existence in 1946.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-09-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Extra info

?

Judging by the colours you describe I think you may have purchased an AEC officiers cap.

?

Quote by LucN View Post
    Judging by the colours you describe I think you may have purchased an AEC officiers cap.
    Yes, the colours are correct, but I previously owned an RAEC cap, and it had unit specific side buttons.
    The cap in question has huusar-type smooth silver domed buttons, so, again I am thinking I need to get a Northumberland Hussars officer cap badge.

BobS