Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Gordon Highlanders SNCO / Officers cap badge

Article about: Good afternoon gents. I picked this one up today and show it for reference and any comments / opinions. As many will be aware, in the British Army it has long been so that SNCOs and officers

Quote by MSlusa View Post
    Really nice example of high quality and I have to agree with the comments thus far. I understand some later badges had a slight gap between the By and the Dand so if correct this would certainly be an earlier badge.
    Interesting, I have never heard that but if it were the case it would have to be an accident of die production as "Bydand" is all one word. For those who do not know the word it is an ajectival form of the Scots word "Bide" (literally "to remain") which interprets into English as "Steadfast" therefore "Standfast" and is really a contraction of the phrase "Stand and fecht (fight). It is the single word motto of the Clan Gordon.
    It would be great if a gap in the word did indicate a position on the timeline. Any idea of the basis for the theory?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Hello Mark, I could not remember where I had heard or read this and whether this did indeed indicates a timeline!! I have found a reference to this badge in a book by WH & KD Bloomer that illustrates this pattern badge as an 'other ranks', white metal cap badge. The badges appear to be illustrated by date order with some stating the date or era and others not. This badge comes after two others the first of which is described as an Officers Silver and hallmarked 1915 silver and for a feather bonnet! Hope this helps. Kind regards, Mark (By the way i'm referring to the badge with a gap between the wording and not your original badge posted)

I always thought it was an oddity of production but ran concurrently alongside the moeeorthodox spelling. Sadly I cannot remember the chronology of the variants use.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Jerry, the book I referred to in my previous thread does not give a date for this oddity but appears to support your comment regarding running concurrently alongside the other variants. Regards Mark

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I always thought it was an oddity of production but ran concurrently alongside the moeeorthodox spelling.
    Yep, I think that is almost certainly the case. As with most British cap badges over time they have been produced by multiple makers in both the official issue and private purchase patterns. The further one looks back along the history of any badge the more makers one seems to find (up to a point of course). I once tried to work out how many slight variations existed of the RASC cap badge (goodness knows why but it seemed appropriate at the time) but failed and gave up!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

very nice cap badge, I just saw one on cap recently, the seller said it was a pipers cap? was a black glen, the badge is really something though

Quote by JohnF View Post
    very nice cap badge, I just saw one on cap recently, the seller said it was a pipers cap? was a black glen, the badge is really something though
    Hi John, if it was a navy blue (rather than black) glengarry ie without the red and white dice then that would be for a piper.
    Regards

Mark

?

You are correct Mark it did not have dice and likely was dark blue (I was not looking at it under natural light)

?

HI Mark
    Julie will be pleased that you like the badge sad to see it go see you soon steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2