Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gordon Highlanders SNCO / Officers cap badge

Article about: Good afternoon gents. I picked this one up today and show it for reference and any comments / opinions. As many will be aware, in the British Army it has long been so that SNCOs and officers

Default Gordon Highlanders SNCO / Officers cap badge

Good afternoon gents.
    I picked this one up today and show it for reference and any comments / opinions.

As many will be aware, in the British Army it has long been so that SNCOs and officers of many regiments and corps are permitted to wear higher quality cap badges which are mostly private purchase. This, although an official pattern must be conformed to, gives rise to a large variation of quality and specific design. This is most noticable in the Scots regiments with some fantastic "3D" badges often made of precious metals and very high purchase prices.

This Gordon Highlanders badge is not the highest quality produced so was probably owned by a sergeant or maybe a junior officer (2LT, Lt or a junior Capt) but it just spoke to me of age and history so even though the dealer I got it from had several higher quality pieces I chose this one.

There is no hallmark and the metal is quite hard but displays all the other qualities of silver so I think it is likely a silver alloy with insufficient parts per thousand of silver to be rated Sterling (925/1000) more like 800/1000 which is often unmarked in UK or sometimes just marked "silver".
    The rosette is made in two pieces; the silk ribbon is stitched to a cotton backing with a slight overlap. The overlap is then frayed to create the fringe effect. A supplier / tailors label is stitched to the cotton backing.
    The split pin is also unusual in that it is plated brass when bare unplated brass is more common.
    The label is for Smith Bros, South Bridge, Edinburgh which has always been an area of "select" business.
    I am not sure of the period (a hallmark would have pegged that!) but I have found a trade directory reference for Smith Bros, South Bridge, Edinburgh for 1846.
    Of course, this pattern of badge was in use for a long time either side of that date so a lot would depend on when Smith Bros were trading at that address (any help from members in that neck of the woods?). My gut feeling suggests late 19th century onwards.

With the rosette this would have adorned a Glengarry not a TOS (Tam O' Shanter) so duty or parade dress rather than field / combat uniform. I doubt it was worn on a feather bonnet as those badges usually suffer some mutilation of the antlers done to stop the feathers of the bonnet becoming entangled on the prongs.

I really like this one and as I say I chose it over higher quality examples because of its' "kerb appeal".

Any comments or opinions are most welcome.

Regards

Mark

Gordon Highlanders SNCO / Officers cap badgeGordon Highlanders SNCO / Officers cap badgeGordon Highlanders SNCO / Officers cap badgeGordon Highlanders SNCO / Officers cap badge
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I really like it, having my dad serve in the gordon highlanders til it disbanded and having a great great grandfather be in the Gordon highlanders in ww1 i might just get one. As for your question i dont know . You could contact the Gordon highlander museum if you have the time

CBH
    ?

Beautiful badge Mark, and thanks for the detailed explanation.
    I had wondered about silver marks on Private Purchase badges, and you answered that nicely.
    Also, I believe members of the Regimental Pipe-band could wear silver cap badges, but I could be mistaken.

This is a true beauty, what a nice cap badge to the Gordons. I really like this piece, nice find!

Very nice find, the scots do so often go that bit firther for a cap badge
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by CBH View Post
    Beautiful badge Mark, and thanks for the detailed explanation.
    I had wondered about silver marks on Private Purchase badges, and you answered that nicely.
    Also, I believe members of the Regimental Pipe-band could wear silver cap badges, but I could be mistaken.
    The silver assaye marks (Gold has hallmarks and Silver has assaye marks in UK. Don't know why but it is probably just etymology as the body responsible for the regulation of silver is The Assaye Office!) are more than just an indication of metal quality as they are year specific and so accurately date a piece).

You are correct about pipers but I didn't include that in my post as in most regiments (not The Gordons funnily enough) the pipers cap badge is different, some only slightly, others radically so but different all the same. The Gordons pipers wore the same badge design as everyone else but in the SNCO / officer style.

Regards

Mark.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-25-2021 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo, punctuation/syntax
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Very nice find, the scots do so often go that bit firther for a cap badge
    Indeed! Also individual officers do tend to "show off" a bit too.

I once served in the same station as 1 RHF and their CO had a cap badge made (privately commissioned) from solid gold and silver. What an incredible piece that was. If you saw him in barracks on a sunny day it looked like a laser from over a hundred yards away!

Regards

Mark

Very cool cap badge. I can see why you chose it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Mark,

What a splendid cap badge. Seeing your badge has me embracing my Scottish heritage a bit more.

Joel

?

Really nice example of high quality and I have to agree with the comments thus far. I understand some later badges had a slight gap between the By and the Dand so if correct this would certainly be an earlier badge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast