Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help finding No1 dress hat

Article about: Good morning gents, I need some help from any member who can point me in the right direction of a decent example of a late 1940's - early 50's other ranks No1 dress hat suitable for the Roya

Default Help finding No1 dress hat

Good morning gents,

I need some help from any member who can point me in the right direction of a decent example of a late 1940's - early 50's other ranks No1 dress hat suitable for the Royal Artillery.

I don't need the badge or buttons just the hat and chinstrap (black patent leather) so one originating from any other regiment wearing the same colour combination will do.

I don't collect hats myself but can tell a good one from a bad one and I certainly do not want the current issue "bus conductor" type.

My reason for asking is that I am trying to help out a dear friend who knows nothing about the subject but wants to recreate the hat in a photo of her deceased father.

It would mean a lot to her and therefore to me if I was able to deliver on this.

As I say, I know what I am looking for though I just can't find it but I am sure one of my friends here can!

It need not be mint (I will "breathe on it") just tidy and the size is not critical so if anyone can help either post it here or PM me and I will be greatly in your debt.

This will be a sort of sympathetic restoration and will be a gift for my friend. If I am successful I will of course show the result here.

Please help if you can I am banking on you guys.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-26-2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add extra clause
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Such as this one ? This might be a little earlier than you ask for, though they do not change much from the end of WWI up to the late 50's apart from changes in the crown on badge and buttons and of note is the GS buttons as OR's caps rarely have regimental buttons from what I have observed. The black leather or's pattern chinstraps are hard to find.

As you state, the basic form of the cap with red piping and red band is the same for a number of regiments and Corps, including RA. Royal Fusiliers, Royal Welch etc....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help finding No1 dress hat   Help finding No1 dress hat  

Help finding No1 dress hat   Help finding No1 dress hat  

Help finding No1 dress hat   Help finding No1 dress hat  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry,

I kind of expected you to be the first to reply and as ever you don't disappoint

Yes that is the beast!

Is that one yours or is it lurking somewhere I might trap it?

Thanks for posting it either way.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

This officers example is of the type introduced post war, being saddle form rather than the flat topped type I showed, but they do come into use somewhat earlier for officers then followed a bit later for OR's caps. I am not sure exactly when they are used by OR's, but the main difference apart from the shape is OR's have the chinstrap with buckles, gm cap badge and GS buttons, though you do sometimes see or's caps with regimental/corps buttons.

British Military Army Officer's Royal Artillery Peaked Cap by Herbert Johnson | eBay
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Hi Jerry,

I kind of expected you to be the first to reply and as ever you don't disappoint

Yes that is the beast!

Is that one yours or is it lurking somewhere I might trap it?

Thanks for posting it either way.

Regards

Mark
    Mark, it is mine and currently has an or's RWF badge on it as they are the same for a few different units and it came with no badge and any slider badge fits. I'll keep an eye out for you, but these do not show up often, in fact the officers caps are common by comparison.

If you fail in your mission I might be willing to part with it if this is important to you, as to me it is only a cap in my collection, though it would be a wrench to let it go.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help finding No1 dress hat  
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks very much Jerry,

Yes it is important and although my friend is not a collector if I am able to achieve my stated aim whatever I produce would be treasured as much as it would be by the most hardcore of us here!

I have a couple of weeks yet so I might manage it but if you have a mind to, PM me a contact email and we can discuss it if need be "off line".

I really appreciate the consideration.

Regards

Mark

?

I would try Ebay UK, where a LOT of peaked caps are for sale. Also, a UK dealer that has a large selection of headgear from the era you seek is WD Militaria; just do a Google search for the website.
    Thankfully, of course, Royal Artillery headgear is far from rare. Good luck.

BobS

Quote by BobS View Post
    I would try Ebay UK, where a LOT of peaked caps are for sale. Also, a UK dealer that has a large selection of headgear from the era you seek is WD Militaria; just do a Google search for the website.
    Thankfully, of course, Royal Artillery headgear is far from rare. Good luck.

BobS
    Bob,

there are no caps of this pattern and date range currently on ebay and have not been for some time. WD militaria does have a good range but he also does not have any OR's caps of this pattern/date in stock. The older OR's caps are not commonly seen, though officers caps are, I have no idea really why this should be the case. The same applies to OR's SD caps which is perhaps why they fetch a higher price than the officer versions.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by BobS View Post
    Thankfully, of course, Royal Artillery headgear is far from rare. Good luck. BobS
    Thanks for the input Bob, I appreciate it.

In this case Ebay (wash my mouth out!) was the first place I looked and as Jerry says there is nothing just now. There is one hat of a similar type that is offered as 1950's but I think it is more likely 60's, is a bit too badly damaged and has a funny chinstrap that looks like a shiny plastic version of the officers "tabbed" SD hat design.

You are quite correct that RA kit is not exactly rare except in the case of what I seek, as Jerry points out.

As I said, the hat I need although not for a militaria collector must be period as it is to replicate that of a deceased relative. My friend also has quite an eye for "old things" and a penchant for curios so "close enough" is really not an option

Regards

Mark

CBH
    ?

Good to see forum members helping each other out , great thread guys .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast